Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Fays 2 vs Maximum Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Default Fays 2 vs Maximum Motorsports

I was starting to look into some better back end suspension components for my car and hit a roadblock. Looking for opinions:

Option 1: MM torque arm and panhard bar (I already have the MM subframes and LCA's installed)

Option 2: Fays 2 watts link, torque arm, and third link that they're currently working on.

Anyone have experience with either one? I'm partial to MM but I've heard that rerouting your exhaust with a panhard bar can be a real pain. Is it the same problem with a watts link?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

"....that they're currently working on" makes the proven Maximum Motorsports components my choice. I just hate being a unpaid Beta tester. What's worse than an unpaid Beta tester? Paying to be Beta tester.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
"....that they're currently working on" makes the proven Maximum Motorsports components my choice. I just hate being a unpaid Beta tester. What's worse than an unpaid Beta tester? Paying to be Beta tester.
While I agree with that statement I'm really hesitating on the Maximum Motorsports solution. The reason? I got a rough estimate of about 12 hours of labor for installation of the torque arm and panhard bar (which includes a block of time to reroute the exhaust because of the panhard bar).
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Of the two proposed solutions, the design of a WL is far better than that of a PHB for a true cornering ride... period. This is coming from one who runs a PHB, but would prefer a WL. The Griggs WL travels in such a way as to require space currently occupied by the spare tire well (Fays2 does NOT require such modification). Since I take LOTS of road trips all over the damned place, I am not willing to give up that space. I am considering some options, but not relevant to this question.

As I understand it, the Fays2 WL will clear OEM Mustang exhaust, but you have Saleen exhaust and cannot say how that effects things. Keep in mind, the TA installation is included in your quote and is required reguardless of what option you take, so a good portion of that cost is incurred anyway. This comes down to how hardcore you want to be. For example, my car takes a better LH turn than right. Most could probably not tell the difference, because it is more pronounced to the driver, but I can easily tell. That does not mean it does not take a phenominal RH corner, just able to take the same turn faster going left.

I looked briefly into a Fays2, but is just not compatable with some of my Griggs stuff and there is a fundamental difference between the two designs. Both Griggs and Fays argue that their way is "better", but I am inclined to aggree with Griggs. This based on many, many years of proven Mustang race cars and am admittedly biased toward Griggs Racing. They could have gone with either design, but opted to create more work and remove part of the spare well for their design to fuction.

Anyway, BOTH Griggs and Fays WL will be a more balanced solution to a PHB. That being said, unless you are extremely hardcore on corners, I don't see you noticing a difference, so you need to decide. The PHB will almost guaranteed require some exhaust work as well, so either way will cost you some extra time/money.

Jazzer.... talkin' 'lot.... but not really answering the question.... huh?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Thanks Jazzer!