Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Default shocks/struts?

I have a 2013 V6 Pony Package Convertible.
I had been considering lowering springs for a while and got Hotchkis springs and adjustable PHB.
I am very happy with the stance and the handling but the everyday ride quality is not what I was expecting.
I have talked to many people about the need for shocks/struts when lowering and all have said that with these springs the ride (on OEM shocks/struts) is very similar to stock. Even Hothckis in their description of the springs says they are designed to work with factory shocks/struts.
I believe I have found the problem. ALL of the people I talked to have GT's instead of V6's. The shocks/struts on the v6 cars are softer from the factory than the GT's. And the convertibles get even softer ones.
I believe the springs are too much for the OEM shocks/struts on my car.
I don't have the cash at this point to spring for the STR.T's(which is what I would like to do) but I have found New TakeOff GT shocks/struts for 89.00 for the set.
Would this be an improvement over the OEM equipment? I just need to get it reasonable until I can afford the Koni's or whatever I decide to go with.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

While they may be an improvement you'd do better waiting for the Koni's, just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I would just spend an extra $20 and get strange 10 way adjustables
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DK Pony
... but I have found New TakeOff GT shocks/struts for 89.00 for the set.
Would this be an improvement over the OEM equipment? I just need to get it reasonable until I can afford the Koni's or whatever I decide to go with.
Thanks
Originally Posted by uberstang1
I would just spend an extra $20 and get strange 10 way adjustables
If it is $89 for the set, I don't think $20 more is going to get him a set of Strange 10-ways. If he was talking $89 each for the struts, then yes, I would agree. If I remember right, the STR.Ts are basically the same price as the Strange 10-ways.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Or just get a set of Eibach shocks and struts. They are not adjustable like the koni's but they would fix the issue.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DK Pony
I have a 2013 V6 Pony Package Convertible.
I had been considering lowering springs for a while and got Hotchkis springs and adjustable PHB.
I am very happy with the stance and the handling but the everyday ride quality is not what I was expecting.
I have talked to many people about the need for shocks/struts when lowering and all have said that with these springs the ride (on OEM shocks/struts) is very similar to stock. Even Hothckis in their description of the springs says they are designed to work with factory shocks/struts.
I believe I have found the problem. ALL of the people I talked to have GT's instead of V6's. The shocks/struts on the v6 cars are softer from the factory than the GT's. And the convertibles get even softer ones.
I believe the springs are too much for the OEM shocks/struts on my car.
I don't have the cash at this point to spring for the STR.T's(which is what I would like to do) but I have found New TakeOff GT shocks/struts for 89.00 for the set.
Thanks
To improve your ride quality, you need to have the Watts Linkage which would dramatically improve your suspension more than any other parts. I recently swiched to Koni Sports. Although the handling has improved but the ride quality has not. When I hit a bump or crack while turning, the car still shifts after the bump. I have done a lot of research. Watts Linkage is the piece of the puzzle.

I definitely would not suggest you getting the GT shocks. They are not the answer to your ride quality.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I have gone back to OEM springs. I am selling the Hotchkis springs and might get something different later but for now I am enjoying the ride.lol. Also the rear of the car dropped lower than the front with Hotchkis springs. IDK if that was because of the vert, or the shocks or whatever.
I have got a couple in mind and was going to ask if anyone has any experience with them.
Eiback Pro-Kit. They have a kit for the vert that includes dampers and springs. I realize it's not a huge drop but that's ok. It is a daily driver after all. I already have the front and rear adjustable sways.
BMR kit. They also have a kit with dampers and springs. Once again not as much drop as the Hotchkis I had but still comparable to the Eibach.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by DK Pony; 07-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.