Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Properly lowering my mustang. Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:12 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Properly lowering my mustang. Help

Whatsup everyone. I have a yellow '06 GT that I just bought staggered 19" AMR's for and now I'm thinking about lowering it, not much though.

Aside from the panhard bar, Originally I was only going to get SR Performance springs and drop it 1.5" all around and that's it... AM.com said I can get by without shocks/struts. Also, my good friend who's done suspension work to 3 cars said I could as well.

Now I looked into it a lot and found out getting just springs is cheaper, but sacrifices ride quality and even more time because when the shocks/struts need to be replaced, you will basically have to repeat almost all that work over again? So whats the point because if I have the cash, I might as well get it all done at once with a nice Eibach kit, right?

Now my main question is... what is necessary for a successful drop of 1.3"/1.4" Front/Rear ? What im set on right now is Eibach Pro-Damper & Spring kit, and a panhard bar. IS there anything else that I need?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Your friend is correct about struts/shocks not being required for a 1.5" drop on S197 Mustangs. You're also correct in that the ride comfort and stability will drastically increase if you do hook the car up with aftermarket dampeners. So, if you do have the cash to spare, picking up performance struts/shocks is definitely a good call.

The Eibach Pro-System-Plus kit is very well rounded and a solid package, but it I wouldn't say it all of its components are mandatory either. Such as the front/rear sway bars and bushings. Again, if you can swing the whole package then definitely go for it, I just want to be clear not all of it's required for a suspension drop.

Other than an adj Panhard bar, the only other requirement you're missing is Eibach camber bolts or Caster Camber plates. Either of these options will work for a 1.5" drop or less on your S197. The CC plates are the better option if you're very rough with your Mustang on back roads or auto-cross racing. If that doesn't sound like your driving style, then a simple set of camber bolts will work perfectly.

If you have more questions or could use any other assistance please let me know. I'd be happy to help you out!

Shane
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

That is the route I believe im going to take... definitely springs and dampeners, but I heard a few times that I should consider Upper & Lower CA's. Should I? I'm alright with buying the springs and dampeners because once my stock ones go, ill have to basically do the work I did to put the springs in over again. As for control arms and sway bars, id rather save the money if I could and put it towards somewhere else... so if these are not necessary for a 1.3/1.4" front/rear drop then ill skip it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
That is the route I believe im going to take... definitely springs and dampeners, but I heard a few times that I should consider Upper & Lower CA's. Should I? I'm alright with buying the springs and dampeners because once my stock ones go, ill have to basically do the work I did to put the springs in over again. As for control arms and sway bars, id rather save the money if I could and put it towards somewhere else... so if these are not necessary for a 1.3/1.4" front/rear drop then ill skip it.
You don't need control arms but they will help improve your suspension overall. If I were you, I'd get lower CA's and skip uppers for now. Eventually you can get a torque arm and remove the upper ca's all together.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Well in that case, I guess ill just skip it for now. I dont do any track racing with my car. I basically do regular driving, bring it to meets to show it off, and occasionally do a little aggressive driving like on the highway or if someone with mommy & daddy's car tempts me at a red light lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't say control arms are mandatory, but they're a nice option. Upgrading to adjustable upper and lower control arms will allow you to regain the proper suspension geometry, which was lost when the ride height changed.

Proper suspension geometry mostly helps reduce wheel hop and provides the proper pinion angle for your driveshaft. An improper pinion angle can cause loud humming vibrations and premature wear to your driveshaft. With that being said, most 05-10's can get away without changing the control arms because their pinion angle "isn't that bad."

This is something to keep in mind for the future though! Let me know if you have more questions, too.

Shane
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
I wouldn't say control arms are mandatory, but they're a nice option. Upgrading to adjustable upper and lower control arms will allow you to regain the proper suspension geometry, which was lost when the ride height changed.

Proper suspension geometry mostly helps reduce wheel hop and provides the proper pinion angle for your driveshaft. An improper pinion angle can cause loud humming vibrations and premature wear to your driveshaft. With that being said, most 05-10's can get away without changing the control arms because their pinion angle "isn't that bad."

This is something to keep in mind for the future though! Let me know if you have more questions, too.

Shane
Yeah ill skip that for now then. My car gets like 3,000 miles a year AT MOST. Ive had it for a year and half, came with 17K now has 21K lol. So I think that plus the pinion angle being "not that bad" will make it less of a problem. Now I just need to let my bank account recoup a bit from my last purchase lol, then ill grab the Eibach Pro-System-Plus
Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Yeah ill skip that for now then. My car gets like 3,000 miles a year AT MOST. Ive had it for a year and half, came with 17K now has 21K lol. So I think that plus the pinion angle being "not that bad" will make it less of a problem. Now I just need to let my bank account recoup a bit from my last purchase lol, then ill grab the Eibach Pro-System-Plus
Sounds like you have a good plan then. I think you'll be very happy with how the car handles once you upgrade. It'll be like driving a whole new machine!

Post back once everything is installed and you get a chance to test it. I'd love to hear your first impressions!

Shane
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
drukkosz
1st Gear Member

Could you post a pic of your car with 19in wheels? I am looking to purchase a set too.
thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Control arms are recommended (UPR, of course) but completely separate from the shock/strut/spring upgrade. So that's not a pressing issue. I personally installed springs on my car, and then shocks & struts about a year later. I'm a budget modder!

Quick Reply: Properly lowering my mustang. Help