Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Is something wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default Is something wrong with my car?

Short history...
So I recently upgraded my suspension myself, then had it re-installed by a shop when I switched from Steeda HD upper strut mounts to MM Caster/Camber plates.

The issue I'm inquiring about happened before the initial upgrade, and after the swap. The issue being.....

When I notice this, It's always at the same curves and when I'm going the speed limit, which is 65. I notice a shake when going around that curve. It seems it's either the car shaking, or the road being bumpy. I've tried going around the same curves in different lanes but am not always successful and avoiding the shake.

I'm concerned that it isn't the road and it is my car. If that is the case what could it be?

Note: I've had 2 alignments done in the past 2 weeks due to the initial install to Steeda HD Upper Strut mounts which had too much negative camber, then when I swapped to MM plates. Alignment is good.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Check the Ball joint(s)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to inquire about those ball joints when I take it back to the shop that did the alignment. It seems to happen mostly when curving to the right. Mostly through the steering column, though I didn't pay attention if it was more than that. I will later today. Would be nice if it was as simple as that. I'm hopeful.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

dropped by the alignment shop and they saw the bump steer on the passenger tie rod was loose. Also, the ball joint on the drivers side had some play (same ball joint the tire shop said had some play last winter when I got te same wheel and 4 new tires put on, as well as an alignment. I've ordered some Steeda x5 ball joints and will get the bump steer kit tightened at the same time.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I tightened the outer nut on the new kit and it's a lot better, however I think it still needs improvement. I'm still waiting for the ball joints to show up Monday. Going to have them installed and the bump steer kit redone from scratch. I probably could have done a better job installing them.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Great news!. car's perfect now. So here's what I did today...

1. Got the Steeda X5 ball joints installed, though it was no easy task as it took twice as long as the estimate. First I took it to Brake Check where I've been getting my alignments done. The manager on duty who has been helping me out a lot said doing ball joints for this gen mustang is a PITA so he wouldn't do it unless he replaced the whole arm with ball joint already installed in it, He suggested I take it to another shop, which I did, and they did it, but they seemed clueless as to why the notch in the new ball joints was in a different spot than the OEM parts ("Because it's designed for a lowered vehicle" is what I told him.

2. Because he explained that toe was way off due to the new ball joints being installed, he instructed I take it immediately back to get the alignment done, so I did. We made sure that we were on the same page as far as the bump steer kit goes (talked about where the spacers need to be and how the tie rod needs to be parallel to the control arm, and that the nuts on each end of the tie rod need to be tight, pretty sure they missed that the first time around and my tightening of it wasn't up to (torque) spec.

3. One of the guys at Brake Check who I had been working with (not the manager) was doing most of the work. He took it for a ride after he finished the alignment, saw the shaking going on that I described, and suggested I get the tires balanced. So I did.

4. Got all 4 tires balanced at the place I bought my tires, and he said that one of the tires (front) was off by 5 ounces. He said that was a lot. i took his word for it and my car is not shaking any more, steering wheel or anything else, so I'm super happy.

The cornering is tight now, love it.

What I learned: Didn't realize tire balancing was that important.