Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

What bushings should or shouldn't be Polyurethane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
AZ01GT

Default What bushings should or shouldn't be Polyurethane?

I'm going to be doing quite a bit to bring back the suspension of my 01 gt. I was just curious what bushings I should change to Poly and which I should keep rubber. I know that poly can create some squeaking noise and I can live with that what I'm worried about is binding. Car is a DD, with some occasional sibling rivalry street fun but this is in preparation for some more corning, auto X. I'm mostly concerned with the front end since i've made up my mind that the rear is going aftermarket UPR stuff.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM
wmfateam
1st Gear Member

Sway bar bushings and steering rack are a must in my opinion. I have replaced these and felt n instant difference. I also did motor mounts, people complained they would introduce a lot of engine vibration, but I don't sense them. Just my two cents. And are you going to the Auto X on December 8th at Bondurant? It's good to baseline your car so you know where to go first and see what benefits you get.

Last edited by wmfateam; 11-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
AZ01GT

I wish I could make that but I don't think i will, at least not as a driver. Car already has a huge need for Shocks and struts, and with my dog's recent surgery money is pretty tight. plan was to get the needed stuff ordered and installed by the end of the year.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
wmfateam
1st Gear Member

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. My cobra is riding on the original, completely blown, front struts and some supposedly new rear shocks and Ebaich Pro Kit lowering springs. She pushed like crazy her first trip out, but I had fun and was pretty competitive on a tight course with miatas and other pesky little cars. I might also suggest some camber plates, mine are on a fed ex truck for delievery tomorrow. It will be nice to set -3* of camberat the track and set it back to normal to get home. Good luck with the spruce up.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Like he said, swaybar bushings and rack bushings can be upgraded to poly, also you can upgrade your caster camber plates for better handling and steering feel.

Later, when you decide to step up, go with UPR's tubular k-member kit and it will include a-arm bushings. If everything is properly lubed with synthetic grease, you won't have any squeaking.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
AZ01GT

Originally Posted by wmfateam
Hope he makes a speedy recovery. My cobra is riding on the original, completely blown, front struts and some supposedly new rear shocks and Ebaich Pro Kit lowering springs. She pushed like crazy her first trip out, but I had fun and was pretty competitive on a tight course with miatas and other pesky little cars. I might also suggest some camber plates, mine are on a fed ex truck for delievery tomorrow. It will be nice to set -3* of camberat the track and set it back to normal to get home. Good luck with the spruce up.
He's back to his annoying self, and wants to play but I have to keep him from doing it so he doesn't rip his stitches.I wonder how my Scion would do lol.

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Like he said, swaybar bushings and rack bushings can be upgraded to poly, also you can upgrade your caster camber plates for better handling and steering feel.

Later, when you decide to step up, go with UPR's tubular k-member kit and it will include a-arm bushings. If everything is properly lubed with synthetic grease, you won't have any squeaking.
I've been eyeing your K member also, and full length sub frame connectors but if I do it i'm going to go ahead and replace my 175K engine at the same time.

Rear shocks (KYB GR-2's), Poly steering rack, and Sway bar bushings are on order, along with new Sway bar end links. O'Reilly's wants nearly twice what I could buy them online for (with shipping included) $214.20 vs $108.18.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AZ01GT
I've been eyeing your K member also, and full length sub frame connectors but if I do it i'm going to go ahead and replace my 175K engine at the same time.
Cool, well let me know when you're ready and I'll get you the best discount.