Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering 1.5" - Mustang 2013 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:54 AM
mustangbr

Default Lowering 1.5" - Mustang 2013 V6

So I recently got a 2013 Mustang V6 base, and I'm planning to lower it before changing the stock 17" wheels to some 18" or 20" after winter.

-My budget: $1000, but the less expensive, the better. I only want to spend $1000 if it's really needed because I live in an apartment so I will have to pay extra $ for installation.
-My need: It's a daily drive V6, so I won't need any extra performance on handling. All I want is to lower around 1.5", if possible keeping the same comfort.
-My plan: Springs + Struts + Shocks + Camber bolts. Would that be enough for my need?

So is it possible to achieve the budget and need with that plan? If so, what parts would you guys suggest me to get?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 AM
mustangbr

I forgot to add the pan hard bar to the above plan.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:06 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

I would be careful with the camber bolts. You can run them, but they have been know to break loose. But that is usually under hard cornering. But if its your DD, you should be fine driving with them. If you can, swing for a set of CC plates over camber bolts. That's what I personally run. But like I said, as long as you don't autocross or anything, the bolts should suffice fine. May I ask which shocks and struts you are planning on?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM
mustangbr

Originally Posted by 2012StangMan
I would be careful with the camber bolts. You can run them, but they have been know to break loose. But that is usually under hard cornering. But if its your DD, you should be fine driving with them. If you can, swing for a set of CC plates over camber bolts. That's what I personally run. But like I said, as long as you don't autocross or anything, the bolts should suffice fine. May I ask which shocks and struts you are planning on?
Hmm that seems to add ~$300 more to the budget... If for DD it's not necessary I guess I wouldn't add unless really required.

As for shocks/struts/springs, I don't have any set in mind right now, I would be open for recommendations that would fulfill my needs described earlier.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

For $1000 get a tune and mufflers. You'll have more fun that way.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangbr
So I recently got a 2013 Mustang V6 base, and I'm planning to lower it before changing the stock 17" wheels to some 18" or 20" after winter.

-My budget: $1000, but the less expensive, the better. I only want to spend $1000 if it's really needed because I live in an apartment so I will have to pay extra $ for installation.
-My need: It's a daily drive V6, so I won't need any extra performance on handling. All I want is to lower around 1.5", if possible keeping the same comfort.
-My plan: Springs + Struts + Shocks + Camber bolts. Would that be enough for my need?

So is it possible to achieve the budget and need with that plan? If so, what parts would you guys suggest me to get?
If you're on a budget and not super concerned about max cornering grip, then I'd recommend these springs and this panhard bar.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html

The other parts aren't absolutely necessary. IMO, I'd use the leftover money to buy other parts.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah those would be enough, you should not have any issue. You could save a bit of money and just go with camber bolts, panhard, springs for now. The stock shocks and struts should hang in there for a little while. Cause I would save the money and get Koni Yellows for your shocks and struts they are a lot more expensive but well worth it.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

if you want a real comfortable ride at a lowered height, go with st suspension coilovers. you could find them for 1100.. theyre made by kw and are the same as the kw v1's but are zinc coated galvanized steel instead of stainless steel. once im in the budget for them im getting them. either that or go with koni yellows with a spring combo, j&m panhard, steeda caster camber plates. i prefer to go with coilovers because the spring/strut rates are combined to perform for each other.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

Like stated above, your budget will determine your setup. Im running the Koni Yellows with H&R springs. The ride is excellent. The stock ones will work for a little while. I've heard they don't have very good ride quality with aftermarket springs. They will wear out faster due to the fact that they are not intended or designed to handle the aftermarket "progressive rate" springs. Im not 100% sure about this, but I think you will need to get a set of gt500 strut mounts when using new struts. That's if you don't run cc plates though.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah gt500 strut mounts work, they are about the same price as camber bolts.

Quick Reply: Lowering 1.5" - Mustang 2013 V6