Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Really need Suspension / Handling Setup for 95 Cobra, please help.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Cool Really need Suspension / Handling Setup for 95 Cobra, please help.

I just recently bought a cherry 1995 Cobra Convertible with low miles in practically mint condition. Totally stock. Car will be mostly daily driver with some hpde, time attack. 85-90% daily driver / street car 10-15% track. Originally my idea was to get the Steeda G Trac 1 and G Trac 3 kits along with the Koni Orange, SRT, possible the yellows / sports. Leaning more towards the orange / SRTs. I e-mailed owner of Strano Parts for some suggestions, he steered me away from the Steeda 1 & 2 G Trac kits and suggested the following:
1.Steeda Sport Springs, his version, not sure there was two versions?
2.Maximum Motorsports Camber / Caster Plates, I was thinking of going with the Steedas.
3.Steeda front 35mm sway bar, I guess I would keep stock one in back?
4.Koni Yellow / Sport Shocks and Struts.
He suggested for me to start with this setup.
What about subframe connectors and strut tower brace and upper control arms?
I thought these were necessities, especially the subframe connectors.
Are the Koni Orange SRT shocks and struts good enough for my goals?
I was told that the SRT are as good as the Bilstein shocks but cheaper.
I am going to run stock wheels with Cobra stock brakes with better pads.
I can sure use some expert advice. Confused. Oh yeah, one more thing, Can I run hpde and or time attack or just do open track fun without role bar, cage? Thanks, Ger.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM
poxenham

First of all, maximum motorsports is one of the best in the business. Steeda parts are not necessarily crap, but I wouldn't/don't run them on my car. In my experience, they don't have the same craftsmanship and quality behind them as mm or griggs has.

1. Here is a good guide to spring rates If you don't want to go with coilovers but still want lots of stiffness, go with the steeda competition or h&r super race. However, you really want coilovers for track use so that you can properly tune your suspension and get a good center of gravity.

2. I run koni yellow SA shocks/struts on my car because I got them for basically free, they're great. Lots of people like bilsteins too, they are known to be incredibly reliable and durable. Either one is a great choice.

I wouldn't go with anything non-adjustable since the car is dual purpose. Also make sure you can add coilovers to whatever shocks you get later (mm makes kits for koni and bilstein). Coilovers and adjustable shocks will help you out for dual purpose because you can raise the car for street use so speed bumps etc arent an issue.

3. MM Caster camber plates are great, so are griggs racing. MM has great support and you can email them with basically any question and they're get right back to you.

4. Steeda or mm front swaybar will be good, rear is not as critical since you have a solid axle.

Stiffening is a huge issue on sn95 chassis. Subframe connectors and a strut tower brace are a must, and since you have a convertible you will need a roll bar for any (or most?) track use. Also put on maximum motorsports LCA's, the stock 4 link is **** and the lcas make a huge improvement for the price.

Your 13" cobra brakes will be fine for the track, just get some good pads like hawk or ebc.

Hope I covered everything!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend maximum motorsports. I just redid my complete suspension with theirs and everything fit perfect and included complete instructions. They can help you figure out a good setup also if you call them.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd recommend UPR control arms. They work well, they're Made in America, and they carry a Lifetime Guarantee.