Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Strut Tower Brace?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Strut Tower Brace?

I've just bought a base model 2014 GT and I'm wondering if a strut tower brace makes all that much of a difference in the handling and stiffness of a car. Are the stock equipment strut tower braces worth a damn or is aftermarket like Steeda the way to go? Are there rear strut tower braces that don't require removing the rear seats?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Sway bars and springs will give you more of a handling improvement than replacing the strut tower bars. I know they look cool, and all the ricers are doing it, but really, it's not going to do a lot for you compared to most other mods.

I just realized you have duplicate threads and started a dozen others. Try to compile them in to one thread if you can instead of starting 20 different threads all at once. Don't make duplicate threads either, it's really annoying.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Troponin
Sway bars and springs will give you more of a handling improvement than replacing the strut tower bars. I know they look cool, and all the ricers are doing it, but really, it's not going to do a lot for you compared to most other mods.

I just realized you have duplicate threads and started a dozen others. Try to compile them in to one thread if you can instead of starting 20 different threads all at once. Don't make duplicate threads either, it's really annoying.
10-4. I posted my questions in one thread initially then realized that there were specific sub forums better suited for my question. I'm REALLY new here and learning the lay of the land.

I think I'll wait and do springs (minor lowering) and the sway bars down the road. I might ask for that as a Christmas present this year.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

So do you have a stock brace? If so I would bother changing it for something else. One is no better than the other.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
So do you have a stock brace? If so I would bother changing it for something else. One is no better than the other.
I didn't have any strut tower brace what-so-ever. I bought the basic GT. I ended up getting one though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

And this is kind of stupid, but I got a 2010 GT badge and put it on the strut tower brace:
Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Looks good! Meant to type *wouldn't* in the last reply not would. You won't notice difference between the ford OEM brace and any aftermarket braces unless you went with like a 4 point or something. As stated earlier though the stock suspension will absorb most of the flex. That's why most people are saying go with springs and such first. Once you get springs and bigger/stiffer sway bars pull that bar off and go for a ride. You'll notice it missing.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Looks good! Meant to type *wouldn't* in the last reply not would. You won't notice difference between the ford OEM brace and any aftermarket braces unless you went with like a 4 point or something. As stated earlier though the stock suspension will absorb most of the flex. That's why most people are saying go with springs and such first. Once you get springs and bigger/stiffer sway bars pull that bar off and go for a ride. You'll notice it missing.
I went ahead and did Eibach Sportline Springs at the same time. Wow the car handles ridiculously nice now!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

I did the Roush strut tower brace and a Whiteline front chassis brace. The front end is planted. I noticed better turn in and less body roll.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 427Roush
I did the Roush strut tower brace and a Whiteline front chassis brace. The front end is planted. I noticed better turn in and less body roll.
I think I feel a difference by the seat of my pants, but it's hard to tell. When I am hitting an on-ramp, the car seems to bite with the front end and turn in quicker. It's that or I am just so used to driving Crown Vics full of gear that push really bad that any just feels better!