Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

lowering spring issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM
kevin_pianoman

Default lowering spring issues

I just lowered my 1998 Mustang GT with American muscle SR Performance springs. The drop is suppose to be 1.5 inches in the front and rear. My problem is the mechanic didn't know which ones were front and which ones were rear. I need to know if the shorter wider ones go in front and the taller skinny ones go in the rear? At the moment the tall skinny ones are in front and I can't drive it much because the drive line is grinding. Especially when hitting a bump. The back is sitting slightly lower than the front. I would think the front would be lower than the rear? Please help.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kevin_pianoman
I just lowered my 1998 Mustang GT with American muscle SR Performance springs. The drop is suppose to be 1.5 inches in the front and rear. My problem is the mechanic didn't know which ones were front and which ones were rear. I need to know if the shorter wider ones go in front and the taller skinny ones go in the rear? At the moment the tall skinny ones are in front and I can't drive it much because the drive line is grinding. Especially when hitting a bump. The back is sitting slightly lower than the front. I would think the front would be lower than the rear? Please help.
It sounds like you do have the Springs backwards. That is why you're experiencing rubbing issues. You won't have any issues with the SR Springs if installed correctly.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

LOL... oh oh. Your fronts look thinner and longer than your rears! Its very easy to notice. Im not sure how your mechanic can mess that up! Clearly the fronts are noticeably different than the rears! I think you need a new mechanic! Good luck!

P.s. If you have the longer thinner ones in the front than that's correct but I think you have that backwards! Im thinking you have the shorter thicker ones infront!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Front coils are the same diameter from top to bottom. Rear coils start out big on top and taper down to a small coil on the bottom. It's hard to imagine someone putting a rear spring (with a small bottom coil) in the front end. It wouldn't seat properly.