Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Easiest way to raise rear of 2016 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Easiest way to raise rear of 2016 GT

OK suspension experts, (One more time) I'd like to raise the rear of a 2016 GT 1 to 3 inches, & I can't get any response to my question. So, I'll try again!

Can shocks be used to raise the rear of a 2016 about 1 to 3 inches without harming the ride? I'd like a little more rake on the car for looks, more like earlier Mustang models. I'm looking for the easiest way to raise the rear end without changing the ride too much! Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:41 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

You may consider front lowering springs, & I have no clue how it will affect ride quality.
Not sure if anyone sells " raising " springs for the rear.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I don't think shocks do anything for ride height. I would look at a stiffer pair of rear springs.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Years ago you used to be able to buy air shocks to raise car up some.

Don't believe anyone makes them for newer cars.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

This has been asked and answered, good luck
And by using a coil spring lift spacer, ride will be unchanged. you are welcome.
Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
I would bet that no company is going to sell, lift spring for the rear or the front, of these cars, your best choice would be some kind of generic coil spring lift booster, like the ones I have linked to.
For the record these are just examples, of what you could use, and you will need to verify fit, and function, and I disclaim any liability in this matter.
Good luck
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...1716/C0361.oap
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...spring-booster

Last edited by AK_Kayaker; 12-02-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:21 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Someone on this forum suggested that one type of Koni Shocks can be used to adjust ride height! I know that if I want, a spring can be make that holds the same weight as stock, but is 3 inches longer! Oh well!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:45 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

a vehicle doesnt ride on the shocks/struts. it rides on the springs, which dictates ride height. A shock/strut only controls the speed of the spring recoil/rebound

In order to raise the rear without altering the ride quality then you will need to either raise the lower spring bucket up off the lower control arm, lower the upper spring bucket from the chassis, or a combination of the two. This will allow you to use the stock spring
Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
a vehicle doesnt ride on the shocks/struts. it rides on the springs, which dictates ride height. A shock/strut only controls the speed of the spring recoil/rebound

In order to raise the rear without altering the ride quality then you will need to either raise the lower spring bucket up off the lower control arm, lower the upper spring bucket from the chassis, or a combination of the two. This will allow you to use the stock spring
Thanx for the response, but some shocks have been made that allow alterations of the standing height of the car without affecting the purpose of the shock. There have also been shocks made with a spring that will lift the car by using a graduated adjustment.

I have had slightly longer or shorter springs made to do this on cars I have restored, but I'm not that familiar with the 2016 rear suspension.

My question was inquiring if anyone knows a good quality shock that can be used to lift the rear end of a 2016 GT a couple of inches without much affect on the ride?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Shocks dont alter ride height. You are thinking of coilovers. its still the spring that affects the ride height. Airbags are the only thing that replaces both the shock and spring that would be able to alter ride height.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Shocks dont alter ride height. You are thinking of coilovers. its still the spring that affects the ride height. Airbags are the only thing that replaces both the shock and spring that would be able to alter ride height.
I understand all that, but I had heard that there was a Koni shock that allowed the "sitting position" of a car to be adjusted as to height. The source may have just been dreaming, or confused. That's what I was asking if anyone hear of such a thing! I suspect the person was talking about "coil overs"!

I still haven't heard any suggestions as to an easy way to raise the rear height of a 2016! Maybe there isn't one without messing with springs!

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-04-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to raise rear of 2016 GT