Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

2001 mustang gt vert suspension upgrading questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Slushy40

Default 2001 mustang gt vert suspension upgrading questions

I read through Jazzer's write-up on suspension and have a few questions.

To start off. My mustangs rubber suspension bushings are worn out which I was quoted about 1k to just replace them. So instead I'm willing to spend the 1k doing some work myself. Keep in mind my car is mostly stock with the exception of exhaust work, tuner, and eibach lowering springs. This is also my daily driver.

My goal is to make my stang less sloppy and more responsive. I feel as though it torques around alot and I know that is partly due to it being a vert. I'm not too worried about road noise since my exhaust is terribly loud as is. I also have a heavy stereo in the trunk, so would it be a good Idea to stiffen up the rear?

So to start it off I need subframe connectors. who makes the better ones?

Maximum Motorsports, Griggs, or Steeda? other notable mentions?

Then the struts, springs, etc.

I am thinking CO are the way to go for DD with the ability to adjust ride height etc? I would like to maintain a little bit of a drop like I have already and I already have camber plates. If there are better suspension options out there please feel free to steer me in that correct direction. The brands I have seen mentioned more often are koni, bilstein, and tokico but do not know who is the better of the bunch. I'm not afraid to spend a little more than 1k, but not more than $1500.

And do CO's take the place of the spring and struts entirely. A lot of newbie questions...

If I'm way off target please show me the way!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Which bushings?

Coilovers generally package the springs with the dampers. But if you aren't tracking the car, worried about setting corner weights, or perhaps want your car to have them for car show purposes, they may not be worth the expense. I wouldn't bother with them in a car that only sees street driving.

Just better shocks & struts and stiffer stabilizer bars will improve things considerably. I don't know what springs you already have, but they're probably somewhere in the 25% - 75% stiffer than OE range.

Of the three non-coilovers you mention, your choice should be between the Konis and the Bilsteins. Koni yellows for the damping adjustability if you aren't lowered much (including any lowering caused by your heavy stereo), Bilsteins (not adjustable) if your overall lowering exceeds about an inch because they seem to deal with lowering better than the Konis do. Tokicos tend to run a little on the harsh side, and their adjustables tie bump and rebound damping together when all you need short of a dedicated track or autocross car is adjustability on the rebound side.

Sorry, but I don't have much basis for opinion on SFCs. I'd probably lean towards MM though.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:55 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

http://www.steeda.com/1999-2004-must...sion-packages/

Take a look at what we have available at Steeda. We have a couple packages that would definitely help the handling and feel of your 'Vert. Subframe connectors, and other braces will definitely help with the "feel" part, while springs, shocks, and struts will help the handling aspect. As for coilovers, yes, they replace the stock strut and spring. However, as mentioned, coilovers might be a bit much for what you want. I bet replacing your shocks, struts, and springs with one of our packages, and adding subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and G/Trac brace, your GT 'Vert will be a totally different car. Good luck with the build.