Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Best way to raise rear of a 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, right?
Actually, I take some pain/sleeping medication that makes me forget somethings that I do just before going to bed after taking the medication (when I usually do my posting!!) My wife's noticed that I forget things I've done after taking those Fibromyalgia Meds at bedtime, but I remember them when reminded.... like the reminder of an empty ice cream bowl.... the next morning! Either that, or "Old Timer's Disease" must be setting in! Hell, I'll use either excuse if it works!

Thanx to the people that responded to my 1st thread!

If there is a 3rd thread on this subject... then PM me for my doctor's telephone # to have me put in the home... but then, I'll probably take my computer with me anyhow! LOL!

In any case it sounds like I'll leave the ride height the same unless I put bigger tires on the rear.... to make Barstow happy! Too much hassle on newer cars! With 50's/60's cars things were less complicated!

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:51 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Do you need to be a Dhick on every thread! I can't believe you would suggest such things as subframe spacers, or spring spacers, or a body effect. FTR, Dhick isn't a name I'm calling you. So we can still say I don't call names.
you asked about a cosmetic lift, i offered a cosmetic aproach. It can be done and look decent. A combination of spacer and body cuts can do more for looks without sacrificing handling characteristics too badly, and allow for a bigger tire in the rear, furthering the overall effect. As stated, you should know a thing or two about this.

as seen here there is a bit of cosmetic effect from the tapered rocker and slight lip spoiler, these could be exaggerated on quite a bit. then a touch of lift out back and some big *** tires. and a slightly chopped rear bumper,albeit for a wheelie bar but still.

maybe instead of being so quick to jump on everybody and accuse them of starting fights you could try to read and follow the advise of the forum members who for the most part will all but do it for you.

Last edited by User 92421; 08-04-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I wish I had an excuse for my forgetfulness. I walk down the hall and forget why I was going down there in the first place. If course I would recommend bigger tires. Easiest and best way IMO. You could buy 2 wheels, put some street legal Mickey Thompson's on them and done. It would take 10 minutes to swap them back for regular driving. Heck, you could go down to Fontana and see what it'll really do.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

I've honestly have thought the same thing. I did put a bigger spoiler up front kinda helps but still want the rear to look higher than the front but don't want to lower the front because of curb issues where I park every day.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

The only way to do it and not look dumb is with huge rear tires and skinny tires up front. You could then put lowering springs on the front if you really want to take that look tot he next level. Jacking up the rear suspension by it's self would just look goofy.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:33 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I think you guys have convinced me to either leave the car alone or simply use a larger rear tire like a 305/55R/18 to get a little rake on the car! I'll have to check out what the largest tire size that will go on the stock GT rims in a 55R. I'd really rather have a 55R for more tire wall height & improved ride anyhow. I'd probably only get a maximum of 3/4" lift at most in the rear.... but the wider tires would look nice!

Thanx for the suggestions!

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-10-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
I wish I had an excuse for my forgetfulness. I walk down the hall and forget why I was going down there in the first place. If course I would recommend bigger tires. Easiest and best way IMO. You could buy 2 wheels, put some street legal Mickey Thompson's on them and done. It would take 10 minutes to swap them back for regular driving. Heck, you could go down to Fontana and see what it'll really do.
I think I'd better upgrade the axles first! I understand without that I could need to be towed home if the tires bite with the traction control off! It ran 125 MPH in 12.3 seconds, so I'm not sure I could drive faster than that with big tires! It could actually take some driving skill! LOL!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:50 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRamsdell
put a lip spoiler on the front bumper. cut 2 inches off the bottom of the rear bumper. get some side skirts, cut a taper from the front to the rear of both. there you go. have nice day.

edit: shouldn't a guy with this much car restoration (and general do-it-all) experience know how to fab up some HDPE lift spacers? or fab up a sub-frame spacer set out of hockey pucks? or lower the front a tiny bit? or know that a raked '16 is going to look like some fool has no clue what he's doing?
TRamsdell, Please confine your "Trolling" to "Off Topic" Threads! I just want you guys to leave me alone in the Mustang Threads! I'm not interested in "taking the bait" & arguing with you!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by Mr. D
TRamsdell, Please confine your "Trolling" to "Off Topic" Threads! I just want you guys to leave me alone in the Mustang Threads! I'm not interested in "taking the bait" & arguing with you!
so you quoted the first post i left here, again, and basically said the same exact reply. so here is a direct copy and paste from the post I put up later, explaining exactly what I was talking about and please note that another member here also further discussed the option of a front lip/air dam in conjunction with bigger rear tires.

Quote from myself:
you asked about a cosmetic lift, i offered a cosmetic aproach. It can be done and look decent. A combination of spacer and body cuts can do more for looks without sacrificing handling characteristics too badly, and allow for a bigger tire in the rear, furthering the overall effect. As stated, you should know a thing or two about this.

Click the image to open in full size.

as seen here there is a bit of cosmetic effect from the tapered rocker and slight lip spoiler, these could be exaggerated on quite a bit. then a touch of lift out back and some big *** tires. and a slightly chopped rear bumper,albeit for a wheelie bar but still.

maybe instead of being so quick to jump on everybody and accuse them of starting fights you could try to read and follow the advise of the forum members who for the most part will all but do it for you.

end quote

again I will reiterate, You have formed such a bias against certain members that you cannot take decent advise at face value. Here I was trying to help you out, even though you have been nothing bus an *** to me since day 1 on MF, and you jump at me for "trolling". Well, I am very sorry that my solution for your desire was so... whatever you found wrong with it.

Could somebody else suggest the couple options I mentioned on my behalf? Then maybe in a couple months we could see a decent looking mildly raked mustang??

for the sake of people genuinely trying to help you with your car Please keep your hateful shenanigans in off topic.

reference post #12 and post #14

Last edited by User 92421; 08-10-2016 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added post number references
Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I think the axles will take the abuse you intend to dish out. If you ere taking it to Fontana or Irwindale regularly maybe not.

Quick Reply: Best way to raise rear of a 2016