SVO Forum

To turbo or not to turbo...THAT is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

Default RE: To turbo or not to turbo...THAT is the question

depends on how you are...some people can drive an SVO that runs 15's and an LS1 in the 13's and not be impressed at all by the latter. feeling that boost come in may be an acquired taste, but i think its fun as hell.

and not to mention your friend had a really unimpressive SVO...try an 85.5-86 and you'll notice a difference.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
aheckart91_5.0

the argument of this thread is all wrong it all depends on what you want to do with the car if you want one thats nice gets ok gas milage and hadles better in corners go for the turbo 4 and some mild suspension modificatio thats what the svo did and was made for when you stomp it ull kill the gas milage but owell its a sleeper if ur looking for a monster car not to great of gas milage killer in the straights and alittle lacking in the corners go ahead with a V8
Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I'm a fan of both set ups for different reasons. Sounds like you got one hell of an argument going tho. Feels kinda weird liking both sides lol.

If you know where to look and what to look for, you can build good horsepower out of both engines for a somewhat reasonable price. I believe I built my 2.3T for a bit less than what I could build the 5.0 I would want for. It's different, gives you some better handling characteristics, and with a stock ecu set up and not doing too much work to the internals, you can achieve up to 300-350 horse power. you can go more than that, but you start running into issues and would want an after market efi system, better pistons, rods, balanced rotating assembly, etc.

The turbo lag is something that takes a little getting used to if you haven't driven a car like that before, but to be honest, i kind of like it. Let the GT's have their way off the line, and blow by them once i get into the r's!

As far as the 5.0 goes... Parts are everywhere! there is a ton more available for them that are reasonably priced. You can go many different ways when building up a v8 that would be more difficult with 4 turbo. Stomping on the gas and having instant go is sweet, awesome straight line performance and can be made to handle well in corners, if your willing to drop the $$$ in suspension.

What it really comes down to is what your personal preference is. You can make good horsepower with either. One is a little easier to do, but the other is a little more unique. Parts are available for both. As far as reliability, if your building up an engine to make some power, your going to have your own issues no matter what rout you go. Just need to decided what your willing to do and what kind of research you want to do.

If you were going to go with a 2.3t, i would rob the drive line out of a 87-88 turbo coupe with a 5 speed. That gets you manual trans, 8.8 rear end with track lock and 3.55 gears, the LA3 computer, big VAM, and a lot of the other little tricks to building power with these engines. If you wanted a 5.0, you can grab a brand new engine, with a GT40 or Z head set up from ford that puts you in some good horsepower right out of the box.

As fas a economical goes, you either go through more regular gas with a V8, or are stuck with premium gas for the turbo set up. So your going to be spending money on gas either way.

The best thing you can do is a little/lot of research on both set ups and see which one fits you better. Like I said, it's all personal preference at this point. Both are fun in their own ways.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

way to go bumping a 6 year old thread...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 PM
mopman93
3rd Gear Member

lmfao^^^ woot woot!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
wanagofast

Default have a qestion

my buddy told me it would be cheaper to build my n/a 2.3 into a turbo instead of swaping and building that one up what would be easer to do?