SVO Forum

Cheep Mods for 84 SVO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
1992 5.0

Default RE: Cheep Mods for 84 SVO?

If you are on a real tight budget you can make your own boost controller with a ball valve you can pick up at your local home depot. You can find out how by the magic of the web. If you are interested I could probably give you some web sights that can show you how. If you cant find it yourself. A friend of mine just built on for his eagle talon. They are dirt cheap and work real well....
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
t23175210

Wow, haven’t been here for a while. From the time I posted this, I have learned
A LOT about turbo cars. I guess updating what I did to the car could have helped. I got a boost controller, better boost gauge, and wideband a/f gauge. Haven’t tuned the boost yet, its just sitting in the garage in till next summer.Getting my learners in December,licence the day school gets out.I plan on doing a heater core a swap, mines shot at the moment and is only by-passed.Getting a job next summer and planning to FMIC with an LA3 swap, maybe even a bigger turbo.

What’s the biggest/most common turbo a LA3 and 35’s can support?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 PM
turbo2.3stang
2nd Gear Member

The stock T3 turbo will get you to about 300 hp as well as the stock computer and 35# injectors. I would advise you not to get a bigger turbo until you are serious about going 300+. I found that you could actually hurt the performance of the car with a bigger turbo and no other supporting mods, fuel, etc.
FYI, you do not need to swap the intakes. The only reason would be for the air charge temp. sensor in the lower portion of the square intake set up. The knock sensor is in the intake and a big wrench will be needed to get it off. It has a pretty big nut lloking deal on it. It does not go through the intake, it just threads in to measure the pinging and alters the EEC.
I would get it running right before you did any big mods to it. Do things like a tune-up and like you said, the heater core. The biggest and safest mod you could do is the 255lph pump. Your car has two pumps on it now. Delete the external one and replace the one in the tank with the 255 unit and you will be set for any mods later on down the road. One thing I prefer on the SVOs is getting rid of the crappy nylon fuel lines in favor of the metal lines from the 87-93. You could get them out of the junkyard. If you did that, you would need the square intake so you could use the later style fuel rail, the one I believe is a better piece. Hope this helps. Go on over and join turboford.net and introduce yourself. Then after that, use the search feature and you will answer many of your own questions---also you won't get flamed for not using the search button.