SVO Forum

87' t-bird coupe problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Richter888

Default 87' t-bird coupe problems

Ok i just got done putting about $1200 into the head. i bought a roller cam from comp cams and roller followers from racer walsh. I got 1.89" Intake valves and 1.69" exhaust. I ported the head to the best of my ability. I replaced most of thefuel system(tank,sending unit, fuel pump, lines) The car runs but there are some issues.(first its an automatic, but that will soon change!)
I bought the car from a lady. She bought the car 10 years ago from another women. The car has only 105,342 miles when i bought it. Right after i got it the damn thing threw a follower and cracked the head, hence all the work. Now the car is driving decent, but the car bleeds boost at higher rpm. I tested the intake for leaks and replaced all gaskets on the entire motor. Still bleeds boost and sometimes it wont boost at all! You'll pull up to a stop sign and give it part throttle andit takes off like a bat out of hell, but the next it pukes all over itself. I think there may be a problem with my tps(throttle positioning sensor) because it will only take off at part throttle, if you gas it, it does nothing. So any suggestions? Has anyone ran into this problem? I was thinking the wastegate but haven't really messed with a turbo before, so i need a bit of help. Thanks for you help
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 87' t-bird coupe problems

Yup its the wast gate either out of adjustment (or bent) or its almost ready to fail
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM
plazma
1st Gear Member

Does the car not make boost or not make power?

If it isn't making boost the only other thing I can think of off hand other then the wastegate is the vam hose. The black hose infront of the turbo that hooks to the vam has a thin wire in it that gives support. Reach down and give it a little bit of a squeeze all down the length if you find that it collapses easy then when the turbo tries to spool it is sucking the hose flat and not allowing it to flow the air into the turbo.

If it is making boost but is slow then check for fuel issues.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Richter888

Found a couple more problems, the tranny is going out for sure(doesn't like to go into drive when the vehicle is not warmed up), so i need a driveshaft out of a t-bird turbocoupe that had a manual t-5 in it and a clutch pedal cluster and the cable. Already got a tranny and a flywheel.
I also found that when i floor it, its still slow, but around 3200rpm the car will studder and suddenly pull veryhard and then boost to about 7psi(SOMETIMES!). (By the way, does anyone know how much boost the vehicle makes stock from the factory?And what exactly do i need to do and get to be able to change boost at any moment?modular waste gate or whatever?)
And will suspension parts out of a normal mustang of the foxbody style work in this vehicle? I wan't to get rid of this damn air ride, the Driver side rearshock is pretty much collapsed.
And about the fuel issues, i have a walbro 190lph(not sure of the pressure), and i made sure the lines aren't leaking, so could it be dirty injectors?
Let me know and thanks for everyones help(oh and it doesn't make power more so than boost at low rpm, but it definatley bleeds boost at high rpm at about 3700-redline)
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Check fuel filter. Check all vacumn hose. Also makesure hose from vam to turbo is not collapseing. I assume timing on belt is ok. "giles" valve can be installed to adjust the boost. Do internet search. You may have a vam with dead spot in sweep. Does the door in vam swing.freely not hanging up? It maybe in the electrical of it.. Here is website on the turbocoupes look under faq may help also. Have you checked fuel pressure. Can't remember if said pump was replace. Can't reread your poston this page. http://www.turbotbird.com/
Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Richter888

Ok, i just realized something. When you port a head and gasket match an intake, you produce more volume(mainly in the head), so will boost pressures show up differently?(the boost is still there, but only shows 7psi rather than the 10psi on the guage) Could it have made that much of a difference? I also think that the reason the car runs so terribly is that the auto tranny is sucking all the power(heavy torque converter+ it still probally has the factory tranny fluid and filter, its absolutely nasty). Tranny clunks hard when it shifts down and sometimes wont shift down into first. I need a pedal cluster and driveshaft really bad so i can do my manual swap. Do these things sound right?
I also checked the hose from the VAM and does seem to be weak, but not easlily collapsed. And i had a new fuel pump and ran all new fuel lines and i don't detect any leaks, so i don't think its fuel problem.(i don't have the proper tool to check fuel pressure, but when i get up the money ill check)