SVO Forum

SVO Shopping

Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default SVO Shopping

I am looking at an '84 SVO that I may get next week. I was hoping maybe some of you guys could give me some pointers on what to look for when I look at and drive the car next week. Here is a list of what the guy said it has had done:

"new alt and belt, walboro 255 fuel pump, adj.fpr, 35# injectors, 8au ecu, .63 air research turbo, t-bird intercooler, bov, new clutch , short throw shifter, 8.8 rear with possitrac, disc brakes on all 4 corners, oringinal koni's , the motor was told to me to be rebuilt around 10k ago, tha car has 100k just this week, i intalled white face gauges and led lights in the dash, along with some h4 headlight units. 2.5 exhaust"

I asked him how it performed, and he said it was up to '86 spec. I know these years were slightly faster, but I don't know by how much. What kind of power should this car be making, hp or quarter mile wise?Also, what is the stock gearing in the '84 SVO? I'm not sure what gear is in the 8.8 it has now. Also, is the 8au ecu good? Is the .63 Air Research turbo the stock one? I noticed it has a boost gauge in it, but I'm not sure what he is boosting at. What is the stock boost level? He also said that it has a slight sway under acceleration, and that he thinks its a motor mount.....?

Thanks for any help guys. Sorry for so many questions.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: SVO Shopping

lol man i am looking at the same exact car, lemme give you what i got on it
big vam 35lb injectors,.63 turbo t-bird intercooler, t-bird ecu, short shifter, new tranny mount, new alternator , subframe connectors, soutside lower control arms , 8.8 rear end with a 3.55 posi gears, 5lug disc all four corners, walbro 255 intank fuel pump, adjustable fpr, [/align] [/align] i have newer style motor mounts ,and a ranger roller cam w followers, to go with[/align] [/align] it doesn't have the original svo interior in it , jsut regular seats, good headliner, sunroof, carpet, dash cap, a-pillar gauge pod. boost and afr gauge. white face gauges w blue led lights,[/align] [/align] slight bit of rust in the roof , dent in the driver door/quarter area, tires are 50%good, doesn't have the biwing heater core has been blocked( like that when i bought it) no a/c no radio/ ( but turbo sound is enough to listen to) needs paint, tranny shifts great, no problem out of motor, just replaced the injector o-rings. i do have to buy new door /trunk locks or have them keyed , i lost the keys, but still have the ignition key

as for stcok SVO check this sight out the stock boost is at 15psi
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/84.shtml
[/align]
Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

make sure you dont hear a buzzer go of when you gun it.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

a buzzer?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

It's the overboost buzzer. If the car thinks it's seeing too much boost it will buzz. It's not a big deal, and I don't know if it relies on something that is now off of my car or what, because my red one ate 17psi would only buzz in 1st gear, and my gray one at 20psi doesn't buzz at all.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Where is the buzzer at? How loud is it?

Also, I am hearing mixed opinions on the ranger roller cam swaps. Many say it is better, and some say it isn't. I would like to hear the opinions of anyone on here, especially TRBOPWR. I have heard some say it isn't much better than stock and not a good one for a turbo car, and others say it gives the car a lot more torque but also cuts the powerband shorter.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

A red light on the left side of the dash comes on and it is a fairly loud buzz, you will certainly hear it if it goes off. The ranger roller is a popular swap because it is a slightly more radical cam than the stock one, and they are fairly easy and cheap to come by. It improves the low-midrange power a bit, but loses steam pretty swiftly up top. My grey carcame withthe A237 cam already in it, supposedly good to rev into the stratosphere, it makes much more power up top.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
plazma
1st Gear Member

The sensor that causes the buzz is located behind the passenger side strut tower and has a few vaccum lines going to it.
Basiclly just a hobbs switch.