SVO Forum

SVO As a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Mazda787b

Default SVO As a DD?

How many here are using an SVO as their Daily Driver?

I have posted here a few times before, but I'll give some background info.

I'm just about to graduate form High School. I currently drive a 99 Neon I began to prep for some SCCA events (a few AutoX, TSD rallys, nothing serious), but I am positively sick of the car. Everything about it just irritates me now.

Except for our little brush with Mopar, and the 79 Corvette we picked up for next to nothing, we have been Ford people since I can remember.

We have had anything from an 89 LSC, 89 PGT, and even a Mint 79 2.3T Cobra. Currently, we have a 99 Grand Marquis in addition to the cars listed.

I have loved Fox Mustangs since I can remember. I brgan looking at 82GT's, as that is what my father owned when he was younger, but as did with him, SVO's have caught my eye for more than a few reasons. For one, they seem way underpriced. Espically since FoMoCo's HQ is just in our backyard, Fords are actually cheap around here. I can walk into any local parts store and get just about anything for them, mechanical-wise.

So I have found a few nice SVOs for sale around here. Even a nice Oxford White 85.5 with ~60k original miles. Cloth seats, all SVO-specific parts are there. Has FMIC (I have an original SVO IC and Intake+Injetors in spares), and a tubular header/exhaust manifold. He is asking $7000 for it, which does not seem to bad.

However, I am still a bit leery about "stepping back" as far as a car goes. How reliable are the SVOs in all actuality? Could it serve as a DD through my college years, or atleast until I can find a reliable beater (XR4Ti )?

Mechanically, what should I look for or ask the gentlemen to make sure I am not stuck with an un-reliable car. I am selling the Neon because of this reason, and I don't want to be stuck with the same problematic car once again. He seems to be somewhat active in another SVO forum, so I do take some stock in that, but I am still unsure.

I know that Fox cars aren't that great in snow/winter, but a set of 15"s and Blizzaks should take care of that for the most part, no? My neon has no ABS, so that is not a problem. I have been driving for over 4 years, and logged nearly 5,000 miles before I got my unrestricted license. I am not an expert driver by any means, but I'm no idiot either. Even though I despise my car, it always looks like the day it rolled out of the showroom. I cannot stand un-kept/dirty cars.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SVO As a DD?

I use mine as a DD, but not in the winter. Basically make sure all SVO pieces are there, make sure it isn't leaking all over the place, make sure the turbo is in good condition, tranny, rearend, wiring stuff like that. I've put ~15,000 miles on my silver SVO in 2 years and it has never left me stranded.

$7000 for an SVO is a bit steep, almost no matter what the price. Plus the fact I wouldn't want to drive the rarest year SVO with only 60k miles in the winter. Other than that, it is awesome to see other people looking to own one of these awesome, and rare, cars.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
SVOpower

I used to daily drive my 86 with a fair amount of mods. its been sitting for a while not cause i havent had time to mess with it.. has valvetrain noise and and it need to be tuned. But overall, its a fun car. I was gonig to sell it but Ive had a change of heart. With 94,000 miles, a long list of mods, very clean INT and cruse control, i think ill keep it.

Buy it man... you'll be happy
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

I daily drive my fairly modified svo and it drives fine and gets good gas mileage while syill being able to whoop up on unsuspecting ricers and other mustangs. In fact in the last week I drove from jupiter florida to Jacksonville and then back , then up again (about 700 miles total) and I performed like a champ while getiing over 25 mpg
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 AM
svo86
1st Gear Member

I use mine as a DD, I bought it as soon as i graduated which was last year. Im 19 and NO one my age has an svo. I just suggest you dont beat on it while you have No money. and for god sake always buy motorcraft everything especially fuel pumps.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:35 AM
rich_anzik

I am always driving my car and as for svo 86 saying no 19 year olds own a svo i do and i have owned mine for over a year i put a few miles on it i have only had problems with my car cuz of the people before me didnt take care of it but it has never left me stranded but it is not good in snow no matter what you do to it i live in MT trust me
Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 AM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Sweet, Its good to know other people our age know a good car when they see it. I was at work one day and my friend was standing by my car, and a couple kids walked buy saying "Wow, sweet 5.0". I live inf florida all we get is that coooooool dry air in the winter time. you should check it out.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
DRAGPAK

I live in indiana and mines a daily driver except in snow or rain .I hot rod it all the time , i live 3 blocks from my work.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

I use to DD my turbo 1988 stang (same as an SVO, only in the areo nose) and it was a great DD till the turbo let go... twice[:@]
Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

dd here. turned 84000 yesterday, but was in the middle of town so i didnt get pics of it. got it at 84002 though! dont have any probs with mine as a dd. plus i get some crazy looks from people who dont have a clue what theyre seeing!

Quick Reply: SVO As a DD?