SVO Forum

alternator placemant issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
stangmanSVO

Default alternator placemant issues?

ok so i'm building up an svo and im pretty close to being done. i have a bunch of parts from esslinger, 40bob, and stinger. i got a custom fabricated intake manifold with a 65mm tb from 40bob. http://40bob.com/images/710.000b.jpg and i know the alternator needs to be moved and i was wondering if there were any kits/brackets that anyone makes that will work for me? i have looked around but couldnt find anything. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Cool

I assume you have power steering so the bracket needs to be moved to the pass side, down low. One way to go is the Ranger alt bracket. It's only a certain year that works and I'm not sure what year that is. I do know they're very hard too find and expensive when you do. You also need a specific alt for that bracket and the whole thing is kinda ugly, if you ask me!
I ran into the same dilema with my rotated upper. What I did was use an '89 Mustang upper A/C bracket. Spaced it out 1-1/2". Fabbed a supporting arm out of 1/4" bar stock and fabbed a lower bracket out of 3/16" bar stock. I'm running it off a double crank pulley. Pretty easy fab job.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
stangmanSVO

does anyone know what ranger bracket evintho is talking about? or does anyone have any other placement ideas? this is about the only thing that is holding my build up.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Cool

I did a quick search and came up with '92-'94 Ranger alternator brackets. Gotta get the tensioner also. Here's one that's mounted in a Mustang. Big 'ol honkin ugly thing, if you ask me! But hey, it works!

The alternator you'll need is the one in the middle. Note the mounting bolts offset 90* from the face.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the side mount is 3g 130 amp on lincoln mark 8 iirc and 97-01 5.0 explorers
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
stangmanSVO

thanks that is exactly what i needed. i really needed that. im gonna go pick up the parts tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
stangmanSVO

will there be any wiring issues with the 5.0 explorer alt? i got the bracket today and im about to get the alternator.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

search 3g wiring for a fox mustang
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
stangmanSVO

ok so i got the alternator and bracket. i put the stick 2 rib v-belt pulley on the new alt. i used the old belt to see if it lined up and the alternator is pushed out about an inch too far. i have a full set of pulleys from esslinger and i need help badly on whether i can fabricate this setup to work for me? thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

You can make anything work with enough fabrication! I don't have a ranger bracket in front of me but can you bolt a small piece of bar stock to the bracket and drill the 2 mounting holes 1" to the rear and mount to that? Fab some kind of top bracket? Just a thought. As stated, you can make anything work!

Quick Reply: alternator placemant issues?