SVO Forum

HELP, advice on a 86 svo project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 AM
TorinoCobra

Default HELP, advice on a 86 svo project

ok so this is very similar to the previous thread. I am looking at a 1986 svo in the bay area and i was wondering if it is a good car to purchase. It has 99000 miles, and the car has its normal wear and tear. The paint defiantly needs to be redone and the interior is worn. The car itself is questionable, the car has a rough idle, anywhere from 700-1200 rpm and the guy says it does this because something has carbon build up in it and needs to be cleaned, not sure if i trust that or how true it is. Also something happened to the fan and he now has it wired to the wipers and they struggle to work when they are both on. the guy also mentioned that a new turbo has been put on (it looks very original though) and he has an adjustable wastegate valve running from it to change the boost. breaks work fine and tires are new. another thing is the clutch doesnt engage until the very top and he says that the cable has been fully adjusted and the cable might be stretched and to fix it, it would have to be replaced. Tell me what you guys think. Any advice would help!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

All of that really depends on what the guy is asking for the car. All of the stated issues are mechanical in nature, and should be relatively simple to fix. A clutch cable and tuneup would not be terribly expensive and would probably go a long way towards making the car run better. The truly expensive parts on an SVO are those that are SVO specific. If the hood, dual spoilers, front bumper, rear spats, trim pieces, wheels, steering wheel, shift ****, seats, dash panel, etc are all in decent shape then you have a good starting point.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
TorinoCobra

He is asking $4000. All of the SVO specific stuff seems to be there. there is a crack in the dash though and some of the plastics around the car dont fit perfectly but those are easy to fix. the steering wheel and shift *** are there but they are worn. What do you think a fair price to offer would be. i know this is hard without actually seeing it... this is it on CL but it does look much better in the pictures.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3121524935.html
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Just reading his ad gives me a negative vibe, but I don't like bull****ters either. From the factory the car was 200hp, and he would need some fairly extensive modifications to be at the 300+ he is claiming. A detailed modification list would be needed or else I would completely write off his claims.

The dash cracking is standard for a car that has seen the sun. It would be rather surprising if it wasn't. Replacement/recovered steering wheel and shift **** are quite expensive, but those are obviously not a necessity. The thin door moulding is also an expensive piece, so hopefully all those are there.

As for price, I really think he is unreasonably high. 4K plus paint and you could easily have 5-6K in what I assume is a mostly stock SVO. Assuming the car is rust free and the only major issue is the paint, then I could see in the area of 3K. Below I linked some ads from another site for some price/condition/modification comparison. You should probably get familiar with the site if you have any issues with a 2.3T, the majority of those guys over there are wizards.

http://forum.turboford.org/ubb/ultim...c;f=6;t=015712
http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/u...c;f=6;t=015700
http://forum.turboford.org/ubb/ultim...c;f=6;t=015642
http://forum.turboford.org/ubb/ultim...c;f=6;t=015678
Old 08-04-2012, 02:46 AM
TorinoCobra

hey thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. seeing as there are not that many svo's in the area and they don't pop up too often i am going to make him an offer i feel comfortable with. So i might be back with more questions or hopefully in the future i will be.