SVT Forums

axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 04:48 PM
blacksnake

Default axle problems

greetings all... new to the forums.
i own an '01 cobra (stock for couple more weeks), and was curious if anyone else has had rear end problems. broke my axle ... again. 2nd one in 3 months...yeeeha. i understand the IRS problem, however i was just curious if anyone else has torn up as many as i have on a STOCK cobra. i just cant image it to be that weak.

springs and bushings are on the way.

thanks
p.s.
in case anyone was curious...ford did cover them both
Old 04-17-2004, 08:07 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: axle problems

my advice to you is to to a 8.8 solid axle conversion
Old 04-18-2004, 11:52 PM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

a friend of mine has a brand new 03 cobra and took it to the strip and broke his axle, so ur not alone... apparently it has happened often to other cobra owners, is your car under warranty? insurance didn't cover his broken axle, Ford wouldn't fix it which is dumb because you can't equipp a car for drag racing or racing period then not pay the owner for bad ingeneering, especially expect them not to race the car... sometimes ford is a little dumb
Old 04-18-2004, 11:56 PM
WS6speeDemon
3rd Gear Member

oops, didn't see ur PS note, well thats good that they covered your broken axles but still... don't give a kid a gun if you won't let him shoot it, right?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
blacksnake

sorry for the late reply, computer decided to die...

i cant image ford not covering his axle, unless he told them he was at the track...or if he's been doing more than usual amounts of burnouts. they check the wheel wells for rubber. then they yell abuse.
either way sucks for him.

other than a total rearend replacement (i'd like to keep the handling, SCCA member) has anyone successfully reinforced a cobra IRS? if so what parts did you use?
if no one else has then i'll keep posting on my progress. we'll call it "project fix crappy IRS".
starting point - 13.8@101 BONE stock
we'll see what happens when i'm able to keep the a$$ planted....to much wheel hop.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:29 AM
99 FRC Z51 Vette

The reason they voided the warranty on the axle for that 03 cobra is because they found out it was at the dragstrip. I think the IRS was a big mistake on fords part. IRS isn't made for dragracing, yet thats what the car was designed for. I heard slicks on a cobra make it unlikely to break an axle, but I don't know if I buy into that yet. You'd think that would be a lot more stress on it. I don't know whats worse, all that sudden torque of hooking up, or wheelhopping. I guess with wheelhopping you'll snap the axle, and with slicks you'll blow out the rear. Take your pick.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:31 AM
99 FRC Z51 Vette

BTW,

If anyone has a solution, I'd like to know. I also heard lowering it helps on the wheelhop.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
blacksnake

lowering will help with wheelhop so i hear. I have springs on order from Steeda, however they are on back order. I'm now going on a month of waiting. I've researched and found that differential bushings are to help out too, but we'll see. I'll be placing those in when i get the springs.
I broke my axle for the second time at the dragstip. I'm sure they knew but they went ahead and fixed it anyway. lucked out i guess.
As far as slicks go on a ford IRS, you'd just be begging to destroy the rear! Ford claims that the cobras aren't built for straight line perfomance anymore...r i g h t.
I'll try to keep you posted when the springs and bushings are installed.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:35 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

no problem here as of yet have irs gets some wheel hop now with the 3.73s but not when i had the 4.10s..dam...heard storys of them breaking..just depends on how you drive..[&:]
Old 05-01-2004, 02:12 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

solid axle people...

Quick Reply: axle problems