SVT Forums

Cobra shifting like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM
lswhat?

Default Cobra shifting like crap!

I am looking for any and all help on my transmission problem. my car has a steeda short throw on it but yet for some reason it is impossible to ****** 2nd gear, when i go to pull into second i can ****** as hard as i want to but it feels like the shifter keeps catching on something and then i have to give it another hard pull for it to finally go into 2nd. so we took it to the transmission shop and let them look over it and they said everything thing on it was fine, and that they just adjusted the clutch and the shifter. well i just got it back and it is a little smoother but it still won't shift into 2nd good, you still have to ****** it twice for it to finally go in and i need all the help i get from yall to let me know if yall have had a similar problem or if you know what it might be....could it be the steeda shifter itself?...i need any info that yall can give me because this is pissing me off that i can't ****** 2nd and how are you suppose to make good runs if you can't pull the gears hard.....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:53 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra shifting like crap!

Perhaps more adjustment to the clutch is needed. Are you still using the stock quadrant?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

On mine it feels that it hits the gears (syncros) and that is acually stopping it. But you can feel the vibration from that. Is this what yours is doing?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
lswhat?

The syncros on mine are good because thats what they were checking when i took it in the first time, but now they say that it could be a bent clutch fork or something else, i don't know what it is but you have to like ****** it twice to get in to go into second ( thats if you are trying to powershift)
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

do you have a Firewall adjuster and quadrant?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Cobra281

The syncros could be fine, mine are still fine, but i have to pause just a little before in between 2nd and 1st before you can shift into second or they grind hard-core. You just need to give the syncros a little time, but i don't think mine is as bad as yours.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
lswhat?

i don't know too much about transmissions, so i am not sure on the firewall and the quadrant, the only thing i can tell you is that everything is stock on it
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 AM
CoBrAbRaT
1st Gear Member

Where exactly is the quadrant? I know mine is stock and thought i might change it out?

steve
Old 06-09-2006, 02:47 AM
mcateecobra

My 03 cobra is doing the same thing. I have a spec stage III + clutch & pressure plate with a fidanza flywheel. Shortly after install, second gear became a grid session with high RPM shifting. I had an adjustable FORD RACING clutch cable installed and it reduced the problem, but it still grids pretty bad when street racing. It sucks because with all the mods NICK at MC RACING in KC, KS tuned it with 463RWHP. Nice car, but second grinds when shifting hard into second. Do I need to have the T56 Viper Spec installed? Is it my syncro's, or is the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter not alowing me to shift smoothly. My friend asked if the shifter was set correctly? Is that the problem? Can adjusting the shifter elliminate the problem? Is Steeda the problem when the car is producing over 450RWHP? Hell, I've had a couple reliable sources drive the car and they said the transmission is fine. First, the adjustable clutch cable, now what? The car screams. I would love to have the confidence to slam second, like before. Please, if anyone knows about this problem, let me know. I'm desperate to fix it because this car would be a bad-*** streetable convertable if it did not have this problem.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:34 AM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoBrAbRaT

Where exactly is the quadrant? I know mine is stock and thought i might change it out?

steve
It is located behind the gas pedal. White plastic wedge shaped object attached to a metal rod.

mcateecobra- I would use the stock cable with a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. I dont think your problem is with the shifter.

Quick Reply: Cobra shifting like crap!