SVT Forums

how do you do your burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 PM
sahlberg

Default how do you do your burnout?

well....in automatic you powerbrake it to do a burnout but how do you do it in manuals? my dad tried explaining it to me but the conecpt didnt make sense...

he said that you drop the clutch and if the car has enough power, you dont have to hold the brake at all and it will stay in place.....i think he's wrong b.c. if you're burning out w/out holding the brakes, your gonna move....

so, what do you do? drop the clutch and then hit the brakes while stayed on the gas?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
01vertcobra
1st Gear Member

Default RE: how do you do your burnout?

Its very easy but its kinda wierd at first. You get up to about 6k rpms, dump the clutch, and then slam on your brakes hard! Make sure you keep an eye on your rpms and keep them up around 6k and feather the throttle to get um up. Then when your done, let off the brakes and keep on the gas to get sideways Ten seconds is the longest you want hold a brakestand if you like your brakes the way they are though. I usually do it for about 4-6 seconds.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Heel and toe....the pedals are set up for that.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

I hold the clutch in, rev to about 5500 rpm then drop the clutch. I've got a 99 so with the IRS I get sideways if I dont slam on the brake. Sometimes I'll get sideways to have more fun and not burn as much rubber. I'm working on my doughnuts right now, I'll get about 3/4 of the way around and then I'll loose it. I practice at work (while I'm on the clock!) after it rains and even while its raining. I realy dont leave any rubber and I getmore sideways for a longer period of time. I just started learning how to use the e-brake and heel-toe. You just have to practice. Anyway, back to the point.Put it in gear (1st preferably, but 2nd holds longer), revthe engine to5500-6000 and drop the clutch, as soon as u drop the clutch...get on the brake! Keep the rpm at 55-60 and make sure your windows are up! If you want to move, slowly let off the brake and keep the car straight. Practice, find the cars best rpm to dump the clutch (yours might be at 5000), practice your foot movements with the car off so you dont waste precious gas or over rev and blow your motor,let a friend thatknows how and watch what he does. Most importantly,make sure there are no other cars around and make sure you have enough space. Have fun!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:44 PM
sahlberg

and do you ever shift through your burnout?

cool....thats what i figured just wasnt 100% positive...

and how bad is it to dump your clutch at 6k rpms?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:47 PM
sahlberg

what is the heel-toe thing?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

the heel of your footcontrols the brake, the ball of you toe then controls the gas pedal...it makes burn outs EASY because all you have to do is ease into the gas until you loose traction and you burnout without the original jerk you see most cars do burning out...heel-toe driving is also crucial for some performance driving...its good to learn anyways
Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Your right foot...left foot is on the clutch. Just thought I'd clearify. Why Procharger? Why not Kenne Bell? Too exspansive or is the procharger that much better? I'm curious, I dont know s/c so im asking.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

I felt the procharger would do better handling the wheel hop the irs develops since the system begins building power after the car is launched (3000+ rpm and i dont like high rpm launches on a stock drivetrain)...i also chose the system of a equally as good vortech or paxton system because of its simplicity and intercooler. I think i would have gone with a kenne bell if i was to drag race or just give a little pep to a dd, but this is going to be auto-xer and i will be looking for a different set up soon anyways (nothing against the procharger)
Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

You have sub-frame connectors and side exhaust? how did you get that to work? did you pinch the pipes or what?

Quick Reply: how do you do your burnout?