SVT Forums

GT500 rods crap!!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
mfj
Banned

Default GT500 rods crap!!

just to verify, stock terminator rods are stronger than the stock rods in the gt500's. y would shelby do that?????????????????????
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 rods crap!!

because ford saw what people were doing to the terminators... so they fixed it.

Why do you say they suck? lol
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

yea how are they crap?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
mfj
Banned

forged i beam rods cant take as much cylinder pressure as the forged h beams. u guys seriously didnt know that?????? read up fellas
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

actually everywhere i've read about the gt500 says the rods are actually "forced steel" connecting rods (sorry readin this post made me whip out past issues of MM&FF). I'm not too keen on build processes, but im pretty sure this is the hydroforming/pressure casting vs.forging process.
Similar to theearlier cobras forged pistons and crank and powdered metal rods
Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 AM
mfj
Banned

terminator rods are superior but gt500 pistons are better than terminator pistons. hp threshold for gt500 is a rather low, 675 hp, according to sources. True that some have taken the gt500 past those power levels, but very risky and not reliable. its the forged i beam design that kills it. If it had forged h beam or billet i beam, it would have been a lot stronger.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 AM
zolen

I'm not sure who made you think the Terminators have forged H-beam rods, but they were wrong. They have Manley forged I-beams. I would doubt that the GT500 rods are weaker. If they are, it might be attributed to their slightly longer length. Also, Ford built that engine, not Shelby. Shelby basically just does some final assembly and stamps their name on it. Finally, that 675hp number that you got might not be the amount the motor can safely handle but rather the amount that is easily attained with simple pulley changes. Ford "fixed" what they did "wrong" on the Terminator byequipping the GT500 witha relatively small stock blower pulley and large crank pulley, so there is not enoughroom to significantly up the boost with a simple pulley swap due to low clearances. I read somewhere that all you can get out of them without a blower swap is another 4-5psi (or something like that).
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

haha I have been saying for months now what you're saying now... The rods used in the Terminator are stronger then the shelby.. I would like to have the shelby top half of the motor with my bottom half of the motor, with their displacement [8D]

but that's what ford did, they wanted to limit how much power you could run on the stock motor...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: zolen

I'm not sure who made you think the Terminators have forged H-beam rods, but they were wrong. They have Manley forged I-beams. I would doubt that the GT500 rods are weaker. If they are, it might be attributed to their slightly longer length. Also, Ford built that engine, not Shelby. Shelby basically just does some final assembly and stamps their name on it. Finally, that 675hp number that you got might not be the amount the motor can safely handle but rather the amount that is easily attained with simple pulley changes. Ford "fixed" what they did "wrong" on the Terminator byequipping the GT500 witha relatively small stock blower pulley and large crank pulley, so there is not enoughroom to significantly up the boost with a simple pulley swap due to low clearances. I read somewhere that all you can get out of them without a blower swap is another 4-5psi (or something like that).
sir, stop tryin to sound intelligent. terminators have forge H beam. read up fella. what a newb
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

"The SVT engineers specified forged "H-beam" connecting rods from Manley Manufacturing, which have the strength to withstand the engine’s high torque output. The rods are fitted with new forged pistons with dished tops similar to those on the SVT Lightning. These pistons lower the compression ratio to 8.5:1, which is necessary to handle the higher compression pressures developed in the supercharged engine."

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ra/index.shtml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 rods crap!!