SVT Forums

1998 Cobra Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
SVT98Eliazar

Default 1998 Cobra Engine Ticking

Just picked up a 1998 cobra with 40K on the body and 10K on the engine that was installed in 2003 from the Ford Dealership (have paper work to back it up). I can hear a tick coming from the engine when I drive past houses or I am next to cars. When I open the hood I can't hear anything. I went under the car (jacked it up) to listen, I didn't have alot of time so I did a quick check to see if I could hear the noise under. It is more apparent under the car. I didn't check the headers, but other than that would else could be making this ticking noise? Its noticeable at idle and also as the RPM's escalade. I need your help guys.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1998 Cobra Engine Ticking

Sounds like exhaust. What does it have in the form of exhaust? You said headers, does it actually have headers? (as opposed to the stock exhaust manifold) Does it have a midpipe? Catback? The most common places for the exhaust leak are either where headers bolt up to the engine or where the headers connect to the midpipe (especially on the damn passenger side).
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
SVT98Eliazar

Everything is stock, so no I don't have after market headers. I crawled under the car (jacked it up) and I couldn't pin point the noise. Its in the lower driver side. What could go wrong in that area? Anyone know what parts of the engine can wear out that will/can cause a tick/click?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

TOB can also sound like a ticking noise coming roughly from that area..... at least until it starts to get even worse.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmmm... well, it could still be exhaust of course, that just seems less likely with stock exhaust becuase it hasn't been messed with. Can you describe what kind of ticking it sounds like? Does it sound metallic or does it sound like it might be something like exhaust? Also, does it keep time with the engine? Does it get louder and faster as you rev it?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 PM
mfj
Banned

sounds like ur descibing a head tick, which can be pretty serious!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
SVT98Eliazar

The ticking gets faster as the RPM's arise. The guy I purchased this car from had installed a new SVT engine at 38K the car currently has 44K. He hardly drove it, the new engine was installed in 03 so the damn warranty is out!

The tick is sort of like when you click a pen (you know the clicking pens), its gets faster as you drive it. A mechanic told me he would pin point it for me for 20 bux, he was cool.

So what happens when its a head tick??? How much for the parts/labor? HELP
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
mfj
Banned

r u sure the whole engine is new, or just the bottom end?? also, age of the motor doesn't necessarily mean anything. All it takes is a serious over rev to break a lifter in the head, or down shifting one gear too many....
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
SVT98Eliazar

The whole engine was replaced, I have receipts showing the total price was 6K out the door with the engine and labor from the Ford Dealership. The guys seemed like he was kick back and didn't drive it much. He said that he had it in the garage alot and hardly moved it. Unless his stupid son messed with it or overrevved it or something.

Well the tick is around the driver's side header area. Its a TICK TICK TICK TICK sound, its always apparent and constant, if the RPM's rise the tick becomes faster. When I am above 4K RPM I can't really hear the tick, maybe because of the exhaust. The idle is constant but the engine kind of shakes slightly and it can be felt while in the car. HELP PLEASE
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 PM
mfj
Banned

remove ur driver side valve cover! u can't work blind guy! u can only tell soo much by just sound, u need to take a look inside. im assuming, since u own a cobra, u know how to work on it, so take off the valvecover and let's see whats going on....

Quick Reply: 1998 Cobra Engine Ticking