SVT Forums

a motor swap question

Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
TBIRD96

Default a motor swap question

Im new to this forum and to mustangs in general. but my question is how can i tell that a 5.4L motor swap was done in a 96 4.6LGT?
My buddy traded something for this car and got it home, and had me look at it. He was told that this car is heavily modded. The 5.4L motor swap, wet spray system, runs on jet fuel or leaded he couldn't remember,rotorary assembly where replaced with forged pistons, rods, and crank, also comp cams where installed, with suspension upgrades as well.
I think my buddy got had because the spray system was actually a dry system, and looked like a 8th grader did it. Also all wiring for the motor seems to be original, and the motor has the stock mustang throttle body, stock ignition modules. And from looking online at pictures it looks like a regular NA 4.6L motor. This car is also a NA motor with the swap. So Im asking for some tips to look for the motor swap, and where the vin number on these motors are?

Thanks for anything you can help me with,
Josh
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a motor swap question

ORIGINAL: TBIRD96

Im new to this forum and to mustangs in general. but my question is how can i tell that a 5.4L motor swap was done in a 96 4.6LGT?
My buddy traded something for this car and got it home, and had me look at it. He was told that this car is heavily modded. The 5.4L motor swap, wet spray system, runs on jet fuel or leaded he couldn't remember,rotorary assembly where replaced with forged pistons, rods, and crank, also comp cams where installed, with suspension upgrades as well.
I think my buddy got had because the spray system was actually a dry system, and looked like a 8th grader did it. Also all wiring for the motor seems to be original, and the motor has the stock mustang throttle body, stock ignition modules. And from looking online at pictures it looks like a regular NA 4.6L motor. This car is also a NA motor with the swap. So Im asking for some tips to look for the motor swap, and where the vin number on these motors are?

Thanks for anything you can help me with,
Josh
Stock throttle body and the guy said it was a 5.4L swap??? That would have been the first thing to go! A 5.4L engine won't fit under a stock hood. Intake is totally different and takes alot of work to get them in there, something an 8th grader couldn't do. Wiring would be different and upgraded. Cams would make that thing idle with some lump. Sounds like your friend got boned and believed anythign from a moron and I doubt there are any internal mods and it's a 4.6L non-pi 210hp pos.
Also, this shouldn't be posted in SVT section. It should be in 4.6L General discussion
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 AM
TBIRD96

sorry about that, how do I move the thread? becuase I got more questions...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

your in the right spot, and it would take much to swap, the wiring would be the most difficult thing. go ahead and as your questions.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 AM
TBIRD96

My buddy is getting the paperwork on the car today, so I've told him if possible drop the oil pan because I'll be able to tell if the inside of the motor has been touched at all. My big question is how can I find out what fuel its running, because I believe its on pump gas not leaded or jet fuel like he said. I have a friend with a grand national running 110 leaded and the mustang doesnt smell like that. Also cam wise it doesnt have the sound at idle likes its got a cam. So I guess my other question is where can I find the vin numbers on these motors? and if I pull the valve covers is there a visual difference between valve location between the motors?
Last thing about the motor I noticed the intake is a plastic manifold, my question about that is if you building a motor to drift/race whatever a plastic manifold isnt something to use right? It looks like the stock manifold used on the 4.6L.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i wouldnt worry about what it was running, he needs to rebild regardless b/c of the nature of the deal and whast gone wrong....but its probably running 87-93
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

how about some pictures....
Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
TBIRD96

Im going to the garage its at now and I'll take some and post em
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM
TBIRD96

ok, pictures will be tomorrow light sucks cant see anything. But I found out some more from the motor that gives me more questions. It was built with a a 5.4L short block with 4.6L PI heads and intake, and all internal upgrades are getting emailed to my buddy for proof of purchase. The way I understand it is that 5.4 and the 4.6 are the same just with different stroke lengths to get that extra 50 cubes, so essentially the 5.4 is a stroked 4.6, kinda. But how can you put the 5.4 block with 4.6 PI heads, wont the piston's hit the head?
My other question is.....could you use the 5.4L lightning short block because the block is forged, to put 4.6L rotary assembly in to support more power?
All in all this doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. thanks for anything you can contribute
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

yeah , that doesnt make sense to me either, but yes the 5.4 is just a stroked 4.6. the same mounting positions. I wouldnt trust the guy e-mailing the internal upgrades.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a motor swap question