SVT Forums

VVME Hid's

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
pitmitch910
2nd Gear Member

Default VVME Hid's

i hav a 1997 Cobra, i want to do an HID conversion, all my mustang friends hav done the same but, the bought the single beam conversion from VVME.com, i want the Bi-Xenon(dual beam) kit, im not entirely sure on how it works, i work at a Volvo dealer and when the advertise their Bi-xenon lights as an option the back part of the light moves to reflect the light up higher. so i was wondering if the bulb had 2 filaments to create hight or low beam or what, someone please inform me.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pitmitch910
i hav a 1997 Cobra, i want to do an HID conversion, all my mustang friends hav done the same but, the bought the single beam conversion from VVME.com, i want the Bi-Xenon(dual beam) kit, im not entirely sure on how it works, i work at a Volvo dealer and when the advertise their Bi-xenon lights as an option the back part of the light moves to reflect the light up higher. so i was wondering if the bulb had 2 filaments to create hight or low beam or what, someone please inform me.
I need to look at it but the basics of it is with oem hid headlamps there is normally a cutoff shield that will block light from shining over the horizon, when the high beams are activated the cutoff shield is raised and the projector is allowed to shine freely. There are some oem hid's that are single xenon and use them for low beams while they use a hologen bulb for high beams. Then there is the other method of controling the angle in which the light is projected onto the road when you activate your highbeams.

Now with the bi xenon hid kits that aftermarket companies are selling there are 2 different kinds, there are those with 2 different filaments that the ballasts controls and when you activate the high beams both filaments are activated. Then theres the ones where the ballasts control the light output and increase the power to the bulbs when high beams are used (these arent common as they tend to kill bulbs faster)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I know the Saleen HID upgrades have a single bulb, and a reflector that just "tilts" the shield so it will shine farther outward.

For the SN95+ rides, I have installed some HID replacement lights from Stangmods (site sponsor) and are wonderful. You can go ***HERE*** for a complete guide to install if you want to go that route. I also have some very detailed instructions on how to wire it so high-beams will operate simultaneously with low-beams.

Jazzer
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I know the Saleen HID upgrades have a single bulb, and a reflector that just "tilts" the shield so it will shine farther outward.

For the SN95+ rides, I have installed some HID replacement lights from Stangmods (site sponsor) and are wonderful. You can go ***HERE*** for a complete guide to install if you want to go that route. I also have some very detailed instructions on how to wire it so high-beams will operate simultaneously with low-beams.

Jazzer
Yo Jazzer, I'm from SF too, we're having a Ca-mustang GTG in tanforan this sat at 6:30pm if you wanna swing by.

And just to add a bit, I'm currently in the process of piecing together my own projector retrofit to throw in a set of bi xenons in a set of clear corners I have at home. This may be something some of you guys are interested in doing.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

yes its a single filament bulb, i havent looked much into it but are the ballasts the same from dual beam to single beams? i have the duals on my sn95
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Aereon..... you talkin' ***THIS*** one I figure

You obviously know it is, but for others who may be interested in heading that way . I will talk to the gal-pal and see if she is up for the roady that way as we are North of the GG bridge aways. She is not overly keen on the car stuff, but we are heading down toward Monterey in a couple weeks to go to ***THIS*** for a little AutoX run. She enjoys them, but on a more limited basis than me.

Any good ambers at BJ's Brew House? I think that may put her over the top to go Me, I would rather have a Guinness

Will see what I can do, Jazzer
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
pitmitch910
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
I need to look at it but the basics of it is with oem hid headlamps there is normally a cutoff shield that will block light from shining over the horizon, when the high beams are activated the cutoff shield is raised and the projector is allowed to shine freely. There are some oem hid's that are single xenon and use them for low beams while they use a hologen bulb for high beams. Then there is the other method of controling the angle in which the light is projected onto the road when you activate your highbeams.

Now with the bi xenon hid kits that aftermarket companies are selling there are 2 different kinds, there are those with 2 different filaments that the ballasts controls and when you activate the high beams both filaments are activated. Then theres the ones where the ballasts control the light output and increase the power to the bulbs when high beams are used (these arent common as they tend to kill bulbs faster)
does anyone knw how the VVME Dual beam kits work? i plan on buyin from them. but i do some country driving so i want a high beam, but i live in town so i dont want **** off the locals lol