Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > SVT Forums
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
beaubie

Default Aluminum Fenders and other lightweight parts...

Hello,
1st post, fyi. I have an '03 Terminator Conv., bone stock so far.
I was wondering if there are any carbon/aluminum parts for the front end?
What is light, but still works well, etc.
From what I gather, MM makes a nice stiff road race style K-member but it isn't as light as like a UPR one. (I would also assume quality is a factor as UPR doesn't seem high-end to me.)
I'm coming from a long term BB Bow-Tie background...(think '69 454 Camaro) but I've also had an '03 Mustang GT with some go fast goodies like a 6spd, 3.73's, CAI, and CC plates and rear lower control arms from MM (Maximum Motorsports).

My Cobra is quite front heavy in stock trim. Now, without swapping in an Aluminum block, and apart from a carbon fiber hood, batt. relocation, and K-member/a-arm choices...

are there any lightweight aluminum/carbon fiber:
fenders,
bumper/radiator supports,
inner fender wall,
door skins,
out there??

Thanks
Beau
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
pcs
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 03 cobra

havent seen any alum fenders or door skins, but i have seen fiber glass fenders. the stock fenders are already light, the inner fender wells for the front wheels are made of plastic. if you want, you could get a rear seat delete kit. comes with new upholstery to cover the spot where the seats are.
1985 yamaha tri z 250
1985 honda 250r
1984 honda 200x
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
beaubie

ehhhhh-yeaaaa.... but I want weight off the FRONT, could care less about the back,...
the more the merrier so it hooks better..lol.
Had similar probs with my previous '69 Camaro SS (built a rippin 454 for it 10+ years ago and even with M&H or MT 10.5" slicks it would just blow the tires away like my Cobra does...) and it was major front heavy with iron block/heads. As it was originally, 350/300 SB it handled great...
The Cobra's are waaay too front heavy.
Alright, gonna find me a lightweight bumper/rad support, K-member/front susp, move the batt and IC water tank to the trunk and see what gives...
I really am trying to avoid an alum block swap but I think it's coming... and it'll be the thing it really needs... I'm just avoiding it...
Thanks though.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
pcs
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 03 cobra

the hood is really heavy on the snakes too, but i would start with the k member if you want to drop the front weight down. i swapped it out on my gt, my cobra will be next. if you wanna drag a lot get full length sub frame connectors too.
1985 yamaha tri z 250
1985 honda 250r
1984 honda 200x
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
alum, aluminium, aluminum, cobra, door skins, fenders, ford, hoods, kmembers, light, lightweight, mustang, parts, s197, seats, weight