SVT Forums

Post Cat o2 Sensor resistor? Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
96svtC0BRA

Exclamation Post Cat o2 Sensor resistor? Help please.

Well since i just got this car back after a 7 1/2 week issue with cottman transmission over fixing my T-45. I finally get the car back, and the check engine light came on. I took the car to Auto Zone just to get it scanned and it showed a Post cat o2 sensor code. No Big deal, bought another o2 and went to my shop to put it in. I get the car in the air and realize this car has 0 cat converters, with this "jimmy rigged" wiring setup for the post cat sensor to run into a resistor to stop it from throwing a check engine light i assume?

Regardless, i'd imagine this is NOT a correct way to try and beat the system and not run converters. as to it not getting the reading the computer is looking for i feel it would effect the performance of this vehicle. Im not a mechanic but i feel i know enough to know this is NOT right. We had the car runnin for like 30 seconds and in that time my pops who is more mechanically inclined than me said the car was running lean.

Is there any way i can hook this car up to a computer and delete its need to read for a post cat o2 sensor in general? i understand this car will NOT pass a visual inspection, but just to fix the problem/ get her runnin' right.... Do these handheld tuners take care of any of this? while making the car run better?

Any answers appreciated, thank you.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I assume when you say post you are referring to the second set of O2's or if there was a Cat on the car the ones after the cat. The 2nd set of O2 do not affect how the car is running in any way all they do is read the exhaust after the Cat to make sure it is doing it's job if it isn't it throws a code. Yes the hand held tuners can turn the rear O2's off. The first set of O2's is what tell the engine how to run
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
96svtC0BRA

Aw man i was really hoping that is why that car was running kind of weird. So i assume the second sensor in line is only for emission readings? I was reading on o2 Simulators last night and some of their information was saying that sensor being out can put the car on "Limp" mode and rob performance...man thats a bummer. Well i assume im just going to the local tune shop and see if they can delete its reading for it just so i don't have a pesky CEL anymore... then what does you guys think is leaning out my mixture so much? or should i start a seperate thread for that question?

Thanks for your responses guy(s). i really really appreciate it.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What is telling you your car is running lean? what is the car doing
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
96svtC0BRA

When it's Cold the car has a pretty decent steady idle to it and the car is relatively snappy. but as the car starts to heat up it will struggle coming up into the RPM's like im literally playing with the accelerator (at full throttle). It will idle pretty rough and "search" for an idle at 700-850RPM, throttle response is very delayed...I don't know there is just no Snap what so ever. I understand what heat and muggy weather does to a car's performance but i feel this is far from that.

I had called a local Mustang/f-body tuning shop and they gave me a price of $600 to buy this programable chip, and give it a dyno-tune. and to quick delete that post cat o2...Does this sound Right?

thanks for the responses.