SVT Forums

97 cobra supercharged loss of power need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
sacpoole

Default 97 cobra supercharged loss of power need help

I recently had my 97 cobra rebuilt and supercharged using a vortech S-trim SC, the engine was rebuilt using diamond pistons, new rings, bearings, APR head bolts ect, ect. I went with a 255 fuel pump, 42lb injectors, ford motorsport ceramic shorty headers, bassani x pipe, and a set of flowmasters. the car ran fine for a few weeks only made a few short trips in it as it is still being broken in but the other day it lost fuel pressure, and oil pressure and just died on me and then would not start. the engine would not turn over at all making me think it was an internal problem. I had it towed home and the next morning it started up with a little hesitation and ran fine in my driveway but when I took it out for a spin around the block it had no power at all and died after maybe 2 blocks, doing the same thing, losing all pressure and shutting off. it started back up and as long as i kept the RPM's up it stayed running but again no power. there is no fluids leaking, no smoke, and no noises, can someone please give me a few ideas as to what to check? "update" yes it has a custom tune and today after letting it set and run for about 15 min it did start making a noise not really a knock but something in the top end and I also saw that my fuel pressure was running right at 25 while at idle and I think it used to be more towards 30

Last edited by sacpoole; 09-06-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
FrankenStangNPD

An oil pressure drop wouldn't effect the fuel pressure. To me it sounds like an electrical problem, maybe the slight engine noise is something else. The chances of your fuel pump and oil pump going out at the same time are unlikely. The oil pressure drop was probably just the electronic gauge failing due to the electrical woes. IME ford electrical systems are wierd. My ranger's wipers cut on for no reason and the gauges are erratic at times.

I would get a mechanical oil pressure gauge, check compression, check fuel pressure with a second gauge to rule out engine problems. If no engine problems are found move on to the electrical system.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

yea deff check fuel pressure, the oil press. guage just goes shot when the car begins to lose power and rpms and almost stalls. mine did it all the time, but sounds like what my cougar was doing about running fine then no power then dies, it needed a fuel pump...replace the fuel pump or check the lines, i understand the pump is new, but my cougar got anew one and blew going up the st. 3rd fuel pumpa nd shes fine....