SVT Forums

My new 04 Comp Orange Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Beautiful pics of a beautiful car! Congrats on the purchase... I love the orange - I saw an orange Mach 1 at a recent show and man, was that thing beautiful!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

looks great. love the CO
Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys! I used my new Nanowax last night and man, the thing looks like candy. I am going to take it to one of the local car shows here in about two hours. It's the perfect day t own an Orange car. I should throw a graphic of a jack-o-lantern on the door and it would look just like a pumpkin.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ Good luck tonight!! ....post a few pics of the event...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I notice many 03-04 Cobra owners have had newer S197 Mustangs and have gone back in model years to the Cobras. Obviously, the power of the supercharged 4 valve 4.6 must be a major factor, but is it because you decided after owning a S197 that you just didn't like them? If so, what was it about the S197's that you did not like as much? I like the S197's as well, but no doubt there is something special about the New Edge Cobras. I have a 97 Cobra - not in the same ball park as either but I love it just the same. Just curious as to what factors have driven the decisions for all of you former S197 owners to go back to the earlier Cobras...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
Thanks guys! I used my new Nanowax last night and man, the thing looks like candy. I am going to take it to one of the local car shows here in about two hours. It's the perfect day t own an Orange car. I should throw a graphic of a jack-o-lantern on the door and it would look just like a pumpkin.
I hate you! lol I put my car away for the winter

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
I notice many 03-04 Cobra owners have had newer S197 Mustangs and have gone back in model years to the Cobras. Obviously, the power of the supercharged 4 valve 4.6 must be a major factor, but is it because you decided after owning a S197 that you just didn't like them? If so, what was it about the S197's that you did not like as much? I like the S197's as well, but no doubt there is something special about the New Edge Cobras. I have a 97 Cobra - not in the same ball park as either but I love it just the same. Just curious as to what factors have driven the decisions for all of you former S197 owners to go back to the earlier Cobras...
IMO S197 = Trash, I hated everything about mine except the shifter location. To me they don't respond well and you cant be as in tune to your s197 like you can be with a new edge (if you understand what I'm trying to say ha). The drive by wire is the worst thing they put in the s197. Some people may get upset that I am talking sh*t about the S197 but hey I can because I owned that piece of junk. I had alot of mods done to mine to try and make me like it and I just couldnt deal with it no more. If your going to spend 20k+ on a car a Terminator is the best bang for the buck, unless you want to go with a lsx.

I know their is a guy in the mach1 section that has a thread going right now that he is ditching the s197 and going back to a mach1.

Last edited by Mustang3GT07; 10-31-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
Hmm. That's a good question. Personally I have always loved the Cobras. I remember the mid 90's Cobras growing up very vividly. It was around the time that I was getting my driver's license and really started becoming interested in cars. I loved the way the circular fog lights looked in the front bumper, and thought there was always street credit to be had with a car represented by a venomous serpent. I guess in a way I liked the symbol for the same reason that Bruce Wayne chose the Bat. He feared it and wanted to take that fear and project it onto to the criminals of Gotham. Not exactly the best analogy, but I have always feared and respected the Cobra.

Behind the symbol, I liked what Ford made it represent. A car with every aspect covered by SVT. Looks, handling, speed, sound, etc. So I have always been a huge fan. Well, my first car was a 73 Mach1 which I spent a lot of time and money restoring, but had to sell it because I needed something a little more user-friendly for everyday driving in AZ. I really wanted a new-age Mineral Grey GT. But, at the time I didn't really have much credit (or money) and with the help of my parents co-signing, I was persuaded to get into something more "practical." Then the import scene really struck me, and I had everything from an SRT-4, 350Z, STI, RX-8, and some others. But never really felt it. I remember looking at the 03 Cobra as it sat new on the dealership lot, and vividly remember this more than anything...

I wanted another muscle car.

The movie Transformers did it for me. Seeing the Saleen and the Camaro, I knew what I had been missing. So in 2007, I set out looking into American Muscle. I went to Ford looking to get into a Shelby GT, but it was already the end of the model year, none of the dealerships in town had any to look at, and no one could tell me anything about them except they were $40,000. So, I decided to buy a premium pack GT, and figured I would "make" my own Shelby. So this...

Turned into this.

But it wasn't real. I was never really happy, because I wanted the real thing. But after driving the GT500, and comparing it to my "clone," it never stood up. My GT had more power, lighter weight, better suspension, better paint (painted stripes), better wheels, better tires, better brakes, better interior, better lights, etc. The GT500 felt fat and overpriced, but the Shelby GT wasn't enough for me. So, I went back to where my heart was, with the 99-04 Mustangs. I think they are much more comfortable and nimble than the new Mustang. To be honest, my 04 Cobra just fees like home to me and is such a great value, which at the end of the day, helps me justify owning a gas hog.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I too went from a S197 with my wife to a '04 TR Cobra 2 weeks ago....
Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i sold my 07 GT 2 months ago and bought my 04 Cobra 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Trendy I see

Quick Reply: My new 04 Comp Orange Cobra