SVT Forums

Naturally Aspirated 400 Wheel Horse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 PM
96svtC0BRA

Thumbs down Naturally Aspirated 400 Wheel Horse?

So i was talking to a buddy of mine and i was telling him my plans for the KB 2.1 and he had asked me what i would be paying for the whole thing. When i told him i was looking at around 4,000 he had asked me if it would be cheaper and yet possible to pull 400WHP with a set of cams, Nice ported Heads and other Bolt-on Modification, and not have to tweak with the bottom end.. Even if i do would it still be cheaper in a sense? Now before i go out and buy this SC Kit i'd like to know if we can do this for a more affordable rate.

Also, as for injectors i believe i was told 42LBS, i seen to only find 40,44 lbs and with what flow rate do i want? and i need to buy a matching MAF for this LB injector increase correct? AHH, im so clustered up and indecisive. Thanks for any input guys.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM
blackstang14
2nd Gear Member

You should probably post in the SVT section as those guys would know better. As for the 2 valves the answer would be no. 5.0 mustangs just did a ?2000 GT with TrickFlow heads/comp cams, intake, exhaust, LTH, Pulleys, tune and got to about 330-340 RWHP. So starting with a 4 valve cobra you should get closer to that goal. I can't imagine that it would be cheap unless you are going to do all the labor and install yourself. I thought the KB blower is running closer to $5K, but regardless you could install that yourself in a weekend and would def be easier. But to each his own. Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Nope, def not cheaper, trust me i've researched this inside and out, its hard enough to see 400whp n/a on 281C.I.D alot of guys go 5.0 stroker or 322CID mod motors. It can be done on the 281 4v but its expensive, using components like Cobra R intake/heads or FR-500 intake heads, the h/c/i from them will run you about the same price as a blower if not more.

also look harder you can find 42 lbs, or you can use 39# injectors which are stock on 03/04 cobras, you could use a cobra or a ford lightning maf as well if you're stopping @ 400whp.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Id just buy the S/C. Maybe look into some bottoom end mods. Idk much about early cobra motors soo i can't be much help. But getting 400 hp outta a non s/c cobra is pretty damn difficult.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

its possibly but deff not cheaper. you'll need cams.. "c" heads..full bolt ons..a shortrunner intake or FR500/cobra R intake and a good *** tune..i think nazman or na_svt on SVTP hit like 410rwhp on the stock bottom end..i forget what exactly he had though
Old 12-13-2009, 09:47 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

My buddy only got 390 rwhp with a built 305 big bore in his 01 Cobra. So, i'm gonna guess 400 rwhp out of the little 281 is going to be pretty difficult, and very expensive.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
96svtC0BRA

So a Ford Lightning MAF such as from the truck your saying?...and i guess im look harder for 42 LBS but if i cant find them im going to go with a 40lb. thanks guys
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 PM
RedHousePainter
2nd Gear Member

There is alot more to supercharging than just a supercharger. Alot of guys on here will say just put a blower on it but you have to upgrade alot more stuff than just adding the fan. Bottom end, drivetrain upgrades. It will add up ato alot more than heads. It's possible to do 400bhp without alot of hassle. 400rwhp will take some extensive engine work.

Or you could just throw a supercharger on your car and keep everything stock and hope nothing breaks. (It will.)

Or buy a car that has everything done already. Or buy an '03-'04 Cobra.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96svtC0BRA
So a Ford Lightning MAF such as from the truck your saying?...and i guess im look harder for 42 LBS but if i cant find them im going to go with a 40lb. thanks guys
yes from the truck.

Originally Posted by RedHousePainter
There is alot more to supercharging than just a supercharger. Alot of guys on here will say just put a blower on it but you have to upgrade alot more stuff than just adding the fan. Bottom end, drivetrain upgrades. It will add up ato alot more than heads. It's possible to do 400bhp without alot of hassle. 400rwhp will take some extensive engine work.

Or you could just throw a supercharger on your car and keep everything stock and hope nothing breaks. (It will.)

Or buy a car that has everything done already. Or buy an '03-'04 Cobra.

umm 400whp is 400whp so whether you're adding a blower or getting there otherwise, the same components will have to be replaced, and you do NOT have to upgrade the bottom end with 400whp, i can't count how many mustangs GTs and cobras (excluding 03/04 cobras) i've seen making over 400whp for long periods of time on stock internals. Hell i've seen one run for 2 years on 465whp... Granted 450 seems to be the line where it gets extremely dangerous many guys run 4-430whp with no problems for a long time. As far as the clutch/tranny/rear go, like i said 400whp is 400whp it doesn't matter if its N/A or blown, they are gonna go at the same time. I don't see the 8.8 having any trouble with 400whp, yes people have broken them near stock hooking like hell but some people have had sucess with the stock rear well over 400whp, same goes for transmissions. Some break stock some hold up. Granted the higher you get the more likely stuff is to break.

O.P.
400whp you are fine with stock internals, you need to upgrade fuel/air, the rest when it breaks, suspension to hook is not a bad idea.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 PM
96svtC0BRA

i don't like 03-04 body style mustangs. From what i gather here i found my 42 LB injectors, my Lightning MAF (not knowing if i should buy KB's Cold air setup with MAF) KB SC complete kit for $3,7XX and work out the miniscule pinches after the KB is installed, such as A CAI, TB, etc. i just want to buy what i know i need for now, say just enough before detonation or the motor scatters haha. thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Naturally Aspirated 400 Wheel Horse?