SVT Forums

I'm so excited I can't even think.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Slowp0ke

Different strokes for different folks. Go with what you really want. I myself prefer the coupe for looks. With the coupe you will have a slight weight advantage(a little over 100 pounds), more strucural rigidity, and stiffer spring rates.

With a convertible though, you have the added "cool" factor of being able to drop to top when the weather is nice. Which I admit, sometimes I wish I could do with mine. As far as the performance differences, we all know these can be addressed with after market parts. A live axle swap alone will cut your weight by about 140 pounds. At the end of the day though, it's your car, and you'll be driving it. So get whats going to make you smile when you get behind the wheel. When your choice is between an 03/04 Cobra vert or coupe, you really can't go wrong either way.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
djervin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowp0ke
Different strokes for different folks. Go with what you really want. I myself prefer the coupe for looks. With the coupe you will have a slight weight advantage(a little over 100 pounds), more strucural rigidity, and stiffer spring rates.

With a convertible though, you have the added "cool" factor of being able to drop to top when the weather is nice. Which I admit, sometimes I wish I could do with mine. As far as the performance differences, we all know these can be addressed with after market parts. A live axle swap alone will cut your weight by about 140 pounds. At the end of the day though, it's your car, and you'll be driving it. So get whats going to make you smile when you get behind the wheel. When your choice is between an 03/04 Cobra vert or coupe, you really can't go wrong either way.
Exactly.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
2funGT
1st Gear Member

I've now had each and you can't go wrong either way.

The 'vert came first (part of the deal to get the car) and I found that I mostly drove it as a cruising car, fast cruising, but cruising none the less.

The coupe I tend to focus more "performance" driving, and modding.

So it all depends on what you're looking for.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

It's definitely gonna be a cruising car. I don't have a garage and I plan on buying the best cover for it I can find. Honestly, I'd rather have the "cool" factor of the convertible than to be able to mod the hell out of it and run fast times (although that definitely is a close second). One thing I am worried about is safety. I've never driven a car with this much power and, though I am a pretty good driver, I don't see it being very hard to get on it a little too hard and roll it into a ditch. Those light bars, would they support the weight of the car in a rollover?

BTW, this is the one I'm thinking about. I got him to knock the price down to 24,000. What do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Slowp0ke

Originally Posted by Robobble
It's definitely gonna be a cruising car. I don't have a garage and I plan on buying the best cover for it I can find. Honestly, I'd rather have the "cool" factor of the convertible than to be able to mod the hell out of it and run fast times (although that definitely is a close second). One thing I am worried about is safety. I've never driven a car with this much power and, though I am a pretty good driver, I don't see it being very hard to get on it a little too hard and roll it into a ditch. Those light bars, would they support the weight of the car in a rollover?

BTW, this is the one I'm thinking about. I got him to knock the price down to 24,000. What do you guys think?
A lightbar is not the same as a rollbar. A lightbar will not be protect you in the event of a rollover as an actual rollbar will. Although some lightbars will say something to the effect of it being steel encased in plastic, they will not protect you. Most lightbars will mount on the plastic near the rear windows, and will break where it is mounted in the event of a rollover. In order for it to be a true rollbar, it would have to go down and weld, or bolt to the floor.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
ttoney
2nd Gear Member

You gonna look at it or drive it? Well, given where you live you might just be looking at it more than driving it. At least for the cold months. Verts in a warm climate are NO Brainer. Colder is not as easy to justify.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowp0ke
A lightbar is not the same as a rollbar. A lightbar will not be protect you in the event of a rollover as an actual rollbar will. Although some lightbars will say something to the effect of it being steel encased in plastic, they will not protect you. Most lightbars will mount on the plastic near the rear windows, and will break where it is mounted in the event of a rollover. In order for it to be a true rollbar, it would have to go down and weld, or bolt to the floor.
The light bar I have is metal and mounts THROUGH the plastic and is bolted directly to the metal body of the car. Now, definitely agreed, it's not the same as a roll bar, and they don't claim that it will protect in the event of a roll, but it is metal, and it is bolted to the car, for whatever that's worth.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttoney
You gonna look at it or drive it? Well, given where you live you might just be looking at it more than driving it. At least for the cold months. Verts in a warm climate are NO Brainer. Colder is not as easy to justify.
You think I'm gonna buy a terminator with 15k miles and drive it in the winter either way? I don't understand what your point is. If I got a coupe it would be more suited for cold weather? And this is new england, not antarctica. We have a good solid 100* summer too.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM
amp009

I have had convertible and coupe now both Saleens. I live in California and for summer cruising i loved the convertible but honestly it was my daily driver i never bothered to put the top down. I only put the top down in summer evenings driving around and it was fuuun. If you getting it for the same prize just get the convertible test drive them both see how you feel.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I vote for the coupe...

Quick Reply: I'm so excited I can't even think.