SVT Forums

new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 AM
scottyb

Default new owner questions

hey guys i just picked up a 2004 redifre cobra a few days ago. so far i love the car. it has headers to catless x pipe with bassani mufflers. it also has an intake (just the filter, no aftermarket piping) and from what it looks like a steeda blower pulley. but i dont know what size it is. how would i be able to find out the size? do i measure tip to tip or rib to rib? any advise on that? and also, what size pulley can i run with this setup? and if im able to drop a size or 2, whats needed? chip? tune?

also, ive been a member here for a little while. i was looking into my best option for a mustang for a while and finally got around to buying one. anyways, i saw a post about a member on here changing the shift **** on the cobras and even on some 5 speed GTs. changing the 5 or 6 to "****in fast". anyone have a link or a name for him? and what other basic bolt ons would be best to get some quick HP?

thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF & congrats!!!!! ...Post a few pics of your new ride!

I have a pic...I think I found this on SVTP

Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Yeah by coincidence I saw that shift **** last night as well, before reading this... The one I saw was also on SVTP, but there was no link or info on where the guy bought it...

Regarding measuring the pulley, it's the diameter right? So you'd just measure edge to edge across the middle. The stock pulley is something like 3.65 inches I think. Someone should be able to confirm that...? Most folks seem to agree that 2.76 or 2.8 is about the limit for a stock setup, which takes you from about 8psi to 14psi of boost. 2.76 may be as small as they get actually, you might have to go with a bigger lower pulley in conjunction with the 2.76 upper pulley to get further boost. From what I understand, nothing but a tune is needed with a pulley swap (and maybe a smaller belt), it's the easiest mod for the power on these cars...

Anyway, I'm still a bit of a noob myself, so hopefully someone will confirm if I'm speaking truth or not... But congrats on the new Cobra!

-----

Ok yeah the stock pulley is 3.65. Here's a nice 04 Cobra FAQ to read, and specifically has info on pulley sizes...

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_...m#_Toc35092361

Last edited by Schmalgar; 03-21-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Congrats on that beast !!!
Now go terminate some Camaros (legaly)

Pretty sure some one will chime in on your questions.
Congrats !!!!!! Again
Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
scottyb

how much psi can i push with a stocker blower? i have a digital boost gauge in the car now and ive hit 18psi. that seems kind of high but im not familiar with with the details on these cars yet. i guess im going to have to get in contact with the previous owner.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Stock blower don't go more then 15. Any more you will just make more heat and not really anymore power. If you want more get yourself a whipple or kenne.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Slowp0ke

Originally Posted by Chieflikalotapus
Stock blower don't go more then 15. Any more you will just make more heat and not really anymore power. If you want more get yourself a whipple or kenne.
This^
Another option would be to get the Eaton ported, but even that will only take you to 17-19 psi. And at that point, just like 15 psi on stock Eaton, you're very close to the point of the blower becoming counterproductive. They've been given the nick name "Heaton" for a reason.

As for the f*cking fast shift ****, they were made by a company that would only make a batch of them if they had X amount of orders at one time. And last I heard, that company was no longer around. This is for the OEM shift *****, and here is a thread about it on SVTP...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ift-*****.html

There is however another option if you really want that quote on your shift handle. MGW will engrave it on there for you, but this is only on there composite, or gripper shift handles, and not the OEM one like pictured earlier in the thread. I have one of there composite shift handles on mine, but it's the one with the cobra emblem...

Here is one of there gripper shift handles with the engraving...

One more quick thing I would like to add, the link that schmalger put up is a great link to get information from. The guy that runs that site is on SVTP by the username CobraBob. He makes and sells a shifter gasket that is an amazing product for dramatically reducing drivetrain noise that enters the cabin. It's a great product, and I would recommend it to anyone that does a bunch of daily driving.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

LOL, that shift **** is badass. I'm gonna have to look into getting one of those.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowp0ke
One more quick thing I would like to add, the link that schmalger put up is a great link to get information from. The guy that runs that site is on SVTP by the username CobraBob. He makes and sells a shifter gasket that is an amazing product for dramatically reducing drivetrain noise that enters the cabin. It's a great product, and I would recommend it to anyone that does a bunch of daily driving.
Intriguing, I haven't seen that over there yet. I'm going to look into that myself. Thanks for the tip...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
scottyb

Another option would be to get the Eaton ported, but even that will only take you to 17-19 psi.
that makes me wonder about mine then. ive hit 18psi on a digital gauge. im still figuring out what was done to the car car before me. looks like im going to have to pull the blower and find out.

Slop0ke....thanks for the info on everything. ill have to look into the **** over there and see. and as far as the gasket goes, its shocking that being so small it does what everyone says. looks like ill be finding out for myself

Quick Reply: new owner questions