SVT Forums

'96 cobra engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

hey i just remembered something i baught when i first started working on mustangs is a deepwell impact metric set...mustangs use metric for most everything if not everything and those will def come in use from lug nuts to motor mounts!! you will need a swivel and a long @$$ extension to get the trans bell housing bolts off i believe there a 13mm the best thing to use is a swivel socket where the socket its attached to the swivel..but a regular swivel will work fine just wrap some electrical tape around it so that it limits the movement if you dont it will just make it harder cause when your torquing on it will pop to the side and the socket will come off the bolts....just some tricks weve learned by doing and you will learn more as you go....

if you ever have any trouble doing something jump on here and ask cause i know someone on here will have gone through the same issue and can provide assistance

when you gonna start this fun project
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

yeah, shouldn't have any problem with bell housing, have a swivel and long extension, i appreciate it. I actually started this sunday, holy crap were there 7000 sensors to unplug, nightmare. I just about have everything done in a few hours but didn't finish, i have starter tranny and then engine, i got to looking at it.. where to you hook a chain or strap to this cobra motor....gotta pull intake and heads or what? Can't even see manifold. also you were talking about those headers, whats a decent cheaper long tube i can get without the BBK problem, mac? pace setter? I still have to get the aeromotive fuel system, you know how much that is, so 1300 for a header/h-pipe is really going to drag this out.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

****bump
Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When I drop em I just drop the whole drivetrain out the bottom with the k member and the trans crossmember. Remove the front bumper cover and use a cherry pick and a toes strap on the bumper and lift the front end of the car high enough to slide everything out.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

how would i pull it from the top and the trans seperate, what do i connect the chain/strap to?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
wil5257

Coincidence, I am pulling the engine on my 96 cobra as well, blown head gasket, what are you doing with your engine removed? Hopefully it is something more exciting and rewarding.
I dont see the advantage in removing the radiator as the ABS module is between it and the engine anyway. I may be wrong. I have it up on jack stands to work under the car and JC316 is it easier to move the tran back rather than the engine forward when pulling from the top?
I have heard that the top starter bolt and top bellhousing bolts are a PITA but should be ok with extensions/swivels and patience. Good Luck Disp...27, post your success and remarks on this and I will do the same.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

I would pull the tranny away it isn't that hard then just get it out of the way. And if you remove your radiator you will have a bit more room even with the abs module there.

Yes the top bell housing bolts are tough but not impossible by anymeans do it once and you'll be a pro!! Lol the starter bolt use a few extension so that your wrenching from the front of your motor it makes it really easy!!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I do have my motor out at this point, finally. The starter is a PITA, you hafta get a few extentions and go from the front of the engine through the spares around the manifold. Its the ONLY way haha, the bell housing is hard, long extension and swive head, you'll get it, just feel with your hands first, you'll get them. I am dropping a stroker 4.6 block from MMR in, is the reason i'm taking it out, along with a procharger install. everything went ok, just the wiring harness took days. what is that hose, from the fire wall to the BACK of the motor, curls up like an S... that was the only thing sacrificed i the build thanks to a neighbor that just HAD to help.

***edit...sorry forgot the trans... as far as the tranny man, i just undone the bellhousing bolts, the three bolts for the "skid plate? or something" between the engine and trans and supported it, and just pulled the engine forward. I literally didn't do anything to the trans at all but support unbolt housing, plate, wiggled enging and back and forth and pulled out. I did remove radiator and starter as well. I didn't even unbolt the driveshaft. Just my situation, may not be the same, took forever to do the wiring harness.. what a nitemare that was. I do have some pics, but I highly doubt i'll have them up any time soon, just slammed. Good luck man, and i hate to hear its a repair pull instead of an upgrade pull.

Last edited by disposablehero27; 04-18-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

anyone know what that hose is for?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 AM
lxm

I'm pulling from a 96 GT and I have a antilock brake unit and A/C lines very close to the right bank....is there really room to get the engine up and out without removing those components?