Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > SVT Forums
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

Default new car 2001 cobra vortech supercharger running lean?

Just bought a 2001 Cobra with 90K and a Vortech Supercharger . he had all paper work showing rrhp and how it was a nice safe tune. car only makes 6psi. There is a air fule raito gauge it goes from 11 to 12 on wot, to 14 and always moves. i really don't know what a good area is. i did notice when i push the key forward but dont start the car it flashes 20.0 and when im going about 65 to 70 and let off the gas and just coast it goes to 20.0 and flashes then goes away. i just want to make sure its safe to drive. it has a sct tune and i have hand held also. thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 TR Cobra
Send a message via AIM to Blackvenom01

alright so im sure you have the basics of an a/f guage meaning it monitors the air and fuel going through your exhaust....the numbers you need to be worried about are when you are at WOT specially at the higher rpms...ideally a perfect a/f is 11.3-11.5 for a supercharged car and for other is round 12...so it sounds like to me that your air fuel is perfect...

idle speed doesnt really matter cause it doesnt give you an accurate reading but it can be up in the 14's and not hurt anythng cause its idle...

as for when it goes to 20 then blank thats when your car does whats called lean pops and thats just your gas buring off and popping but not enough air flow to measure your air fuel cause there really isnt any so it does sound ok

now from my personal experience when i baught my car i got the sheets also and said it was safe and all but i didnt trust it and i took it to my dyno guy and found out that it was dumping fuel into my cylinders so bad that i had to change my oil to get the gas out..

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

2001 Cobra Triple Black SOLD!!!
RIP 2003 Mustang
Blackvenom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

Thanks my numbers are perfect!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

also dont you think 5 psi is pretty low boost. i didn't know vortech had a pulley that big.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya your car looks like its running real good and ya that does seem alittle low but like you said i dont know much bout vortech you could prolly bump it up to like 9 and maybe 11 if its intercooled and get yourself a healthy chunk more of hp

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 01 Cobra

I assume you are on the stock engine, that is why it is lower. Our engines are not forged like the 03/04's are. Start bumping it up and risk blowing the motor.
DRAGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

yeahh, i looked and it says 6 rib pulley ? also i checked the oil and its in the middle of max and full are the 32 valves supposed to be to the max or in the middle? he told me it takes 6.5 to 7.5 quarts
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

all that sounds good too!!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
paintball1
3rd Gear Member

Says it has 3.34 pulley >?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1994, 2001, blower, car, cobra, exhaust, gas, lean, mustang, nasvt, running, safe, supercharger, tune, vortech, votech