SVT Forums

Gearbox issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
noevoforstevo

Default Gearbox issue?

So i'm interested in buying a 2003 10th anniversary Cobra. there is a heavy duty clutch in it with a very heavy pressure plate. i find it very hard to get into gear. i have to use a lot of force when putting the car into first. is this the clutch? pressure plate? gearbox? tranny? help
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

the clutch may just need adjusted.... im sure someone else will chime in but thats my .02, just assuming since it was replaced it was just not adjusted properly. Makes more sense to go from what was messed with as opposed to whats stock.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya prolly the pressure plate whatever hack job and hack clutch they put in there...might need a quadrant and firewall adjuster so your not mule kicking it into gear

now dont mind the pedal pressure and how hard it is to push but when you have it to the floor how does it go into gear does it grind or take a few trys to push it in either way i still would mess with clutch components before you tear your tranny down to replace synchros and such
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 AM
noevoforstevo

Ok thanks guys! Man I only see a dew active people on thins thread cause haven't you answered for me before?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya unfortunently alot of good ppl left or have other pressing things in there lives so there is only a few left but idk if ive answered for you lol but i will help as much as i can man
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
noevoforstevo

Ya I noticed lol but I ended up buying that cobra....my evo was falling apart and it was, for all intents and purposes, a straight trade.....couldn't really resist
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
noevoforstevo

Btw it doesn't grind at all just difficult for first gear so I'm hoping I'm ok lol
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM
noevoforstevo

So it Grinds when I put it into reverse unless I'm rolling a bit and at WOT it's a bitch to shift it feels like something is holding it back.....I think the clutch was a really shotty instal
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya i would say its a clutch issue before anything...but congrats on the new car man hope you like it
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

this may be a long shot, but does it have a shortshifter? Some of them have auto stops and if not adjusted right, it won't let you put it into gear or makes it difficult. You need to back off the stops a little so it can go into gear. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Gearbox issue?