SVT Forums

Coupe vs Vert

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Default Coupe vs Vert

Ok guys need a little advice. I have been on the look out for an 03/04 Cobra and came across one at a local dealership. The car is straight and looks clean with only 14,300, but it is a vert. I was hoping to find a nice low mileage coupe. I was not able to get inside to look at it, but I was able to peek through the windows and it looks like no one has ever sat inside the damn thing. The upholstery is black and tan with a light tan top. I think the car is priced right at $24,900. KBB has it listed for $28,885 and Nada has it listed for 22,050 so I might have some room to play with. They have already marked the car down $2900. My deal with the verts is that they seem more like something a girl would drive, no disrespect to those out there with verts, this is just my opinion. If I decided to go for it I would trade my SS in that I currently have up for sale. I am just curious about it being a vert and the rigidity of the car. Will it respond like the coupe? With it being a vert the top would have to stay up during the summers due to how hot it gets here, but defiantly some winter fun. I would keep the GT and make this my weekend driver just like my SS. So any feedback on the pros and cons of it being a vert compared to a coupe would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics I got this morning.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The 'verts have subframe connectors from the factory...coupes do not iirc so that alone will help with recouping the loss of the hard top....regardless both body styles benefit from aftermarket full length sub frame connectors.

Have you ever rode in a vert?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Have you ever rode in a vert?
No I have not and I do not know anyone that has one. The best I could do is take this for a test drive to see for myself.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised. A coupe would not be bad either by any means, but top down with the eaton screaming and exhaust roaring has to sound awesome.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Hey Scooter3-
certainly not affended about your "girls car" comment- but I am surprised! Why would it be a chicks car? (And if it is, maybe its not bad to be driving something to attract the opposite sex anyway, right? Even if your married, you still want to attract her!)
Regardless- I am and always have been a BIG fan of convertibles. I love open air driving, so I would be leaning that way all day long. You can always put the top up to get the feal of a coupe-- but there is nothing like long cruises under the stars or ANYTIME with the top down. such fun man!
The handling will be very similar for sure.
And as for too hot for top down- gotta beg to differ man! Add a WindBlocker wind deflector / wind screen to the car and see how the A/C stays in the cabin- making the convertilbe now seem more like a huge sunroof. It will nearly eliminate the back draft and make the car WAY more comfortable to drive.
Check out the testimonial at www.WindBlockerSE.com
As for the price- sounds right on to me. Best of luck!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
but top down with the eaton screaming and exhaust roaring has to sound awesome.
Darn right it does!

I am on my 3rd convertible Mustang, and I plan on never going back to hardtops! Everyone has their own tastes and preferences of course, but I say top down is the only way to live. FloridaLivin there says a lot of what I would've said. Driving anywhere with the top down is my zen moment. I drive it open in anything from about 50 degrees on up and love it. The only concession to heat that I make is to put a towel against my back on really hot days, to keep the sweat from soaking the seats. Other than that, there's really no such thing as 'too hot' in my mind. I laught at all the weenies in convertibles with the tops up on hot days! And Arizona isn't nearly as humid as it is here, I have to imagine your heat will be much more tolerable than the heat here...

You really need to take it for a test drive, on the interstate if possible, with the top down and cruise a bit. I've never considered a Mustang convertible to be a girl's car. Certainly not a frickin Terminator!! The real difference is that a man will drive with the top down and the chicks always seem to have them up, no matter how nice the weather is...

About the comment above that convertibles come with SFCs already on, can anyone confirm that? I've not heard that and I've been sitting here with SFCs as the first mod on my list for the new Cobra...

-----

oh and PS, I paid $25k for mine from a dealer as well back in December, it had 20k miles on it at the time. It now has 28k miles! of those 8000 new miles, I'd say about 7900 of them were top down! HOOAH!

Last edited by Schmalgar; 06-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah I would definitely get a convertible if I found one for the right price. I think that some convertibles get tagged as chick cars and it spilled over to all convertibles for some people (i.e. miatas, boxsters, etc.).

trust me...if anyone pulls up next to you and says that your terminator is a chick car...you can show them how wrong they are....
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Either way, depends on taste really. I went with a vert because its hot where i live 80% of the year and the beach. To me the coupe is alittle more stylish, but add a light bar or windscreen like mentioned above, and i found it helps break up the length of the vert, and looks great in the process.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

Coupe all the way its more muscle looking
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I have ONE of EACH!!!! ....like them both for different reasons!!! The Vert is a lot fun to drive on a sunny day with the top down and the 3" Dynomax Ultra-Flo's screaming!!! ....I'd sure get another Vert if the opportunity happens! GL!

Cobra looks clean ^^^^

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Vert