SVT Forums

Questions on Jon Lund mail order tune thru lethal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions on Jon Lund mail order tune thru lethal?

So I debating whether I should go this route as to find an actual tuner I would have to drive about 4 hrs which I don't wanna do. Question is how solid are these mail order tunes and does anyone know if they do an E-85 tune. Just food for thought on some of my mods. I have a built motor,3.4 whipple with a crusher,slot style maf meter, 80lb injectors, aeromotive a1000 return style fuel system. Oh and I plan on running a 3.5 pulley with a stock lower for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

for your mods DO NOT DO MAIL ORDER you have dropped all this money into your motor sc and supporting mods just to have someone guess a tune onto your car

you need to put that thing on a dyno with a reputable dyno guy so that car can truly be tuned...your car could be leaning out at 5k rpm and lethalperformance would have no idea its doing that without a data log....dont risk blowing your motor take car of your car and it will make you feel much better

a mail in tune only does alittle in tuning your car for the fact that they cant see what your car is doing how its reacting and how to fix it..they could easily blow your motor wheras a dyno can see everything and tweak everything and give your self a healthy car that will last you for a long time!!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Like he said... DO NOT use the mail order tune. This is not the place to cheap out/cut corners. Make the 4 hour trip, hell make the 20 hour trip if you need to get to a good tuner that knows what hes doing. This is the most important part of your install and the key to your motor and blower lasting. Mail order tunes are for guys who are putting on a intake/exhaust and want to feel the small increase. There is no possible way to get a correct mail order tune that works for every application out there. Trailer it to the tuner and have it tuned...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Jon Lund is widely considered one of the best tuners there is. I know he can do and does do remote tuning but you would need to have your car on a dyno. Generally he will make you a tune to get to the dyno and then have a preset time where he will tune it remotely.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

tuning remotely still means hes doing the tuning on the dyno so that he can see the data logs but if you found a good dyno guy just have him do it...i honestly wouldnt drive the car at all even if they make a special tune to get there cause who knows how your car is truly reacting to the blow and new internals
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Thx for the input guys. I won't have any time soon to get out somewhere to dyno tune my ride will just have to wait.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chieflikalotapus
Thx for the input guys. I won't have any time soon to get out somewhere to dyno tune my ride will just have to wait.
Will be worth the wait believe me. I also didnt drive mine, load it up on a trailer and take it there. Uhaul rents them for like 40-60 bucks for 24 hours which is nice if you dont have acess to one. Your tuner will be able to give you a start up tune about 10-15 mins after you get there and it will crank and drive up on the dyno. Cobras are relitivly easy for a tuner to work with and mine ended up only taking about a hour with lots of cool down between pulls. Dont rush and it will all be worth the waiting in the end.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by redneck racer
Will be worth the wait believe me. I also didnt drive mine, load it up on a trailer and take it there. Uhaul rents them for like 40-60 bucks for 24 hours which is nice if you dont have acess to one. Your tuner will be able to give you a start up tune about 10-15 mins after you get there and it will crank and drive up on the dyno. Cobras are relitivly easy for a tuner to work with and mine ended up only taking about a hour with lots of cool down between pulls. Dont rush and it will all be worth the waiting in the end.
Thx for the info brotha
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

a mail order is fine to drive to the tuner with, as long as you stay out of boost. not sure if that's easy or not with a ts but if you can then i would feel plenty safe doing so. under normal driving there's much less strain on the motor so if it's a little lean here or there nothings going to get hurt. however i agree with everyone else there's no way i'd get on that car with anything other than a dyno tune. it says you're in texas, and i've gotta believe there's a good number of tuners all over the place down there.