SVT Forums

Whats a good roll cage? Still have to be able to hold passengers....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 97stanger
I just installed a mm cage in my car, fit and finish was spot on...awesome quality and decently priced:

Looks good!!! .... get the swing-out bars?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I have a S&W racecars cage in mine, not finished its a 10 point, but I have 6 points in so far. It needs to be a welded cage thought, bolt in cages wont pass tech for any kind of racing at all. Even at our local track if your car isn't fast enough to require a cage but you still have a cage in the car and its bolt in you won't make it pass tech inspection.
@ Stanger, why didnt you run the rear bars into the truck area and weld them over the frame rails adjacent to the wheel wells.
Its the same way at some places here. If it aint welded in some cases they claim its worse... doesnt make any sense at all to me but whatever. Personally i would have it welded no matter what for the extra strength. Theres no way a welder with any decent experience can make it weaker or damage the sheet metal at the mounting points.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I'm not following you uber...are you thinking of the wolfecraft bars that follow along the roof of the car? MM's bars mount right next to the torque box area
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm not following you uber...are you thinking of the wolfecraft bars that follow along the roof of the car? MM's bars mount right next to the torque box area
No your rear bars that you have going through your plastics, I ran mine into the trunk area and welding them right over the subframe next to the wheel wells.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I just followed MM's directions when installing and if you would look at anybody that has a MM bar they go through the plastics. The plates on the rear bars are bent perfectly to sit on the inner qp, I bolted them through and then had everything welded as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I just followed MM's directions when installing and if you would look at anybody that has a MM bar they go through the plastics. The plates on the rear bars are bent perfectly to sit on the inner qp, I bolted them through and then had everything welded as well.
Icic, my kit originally wanted me to weld them on the wheel wells, bt after talking to a large majority of competitive drag racers and some people from the sanctioning body they said its more beneficial to run hem over the frame rails in the back.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Hmm, dont know I just followed the directions. Yeah, maybe if you have a 7 second car that makes sense...but for what I use my car for I'm happy with how everything turned out
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Hmm, dont know I just followed the directions. Yeah, maybe if you have a 7 second car that makes sense...but for what I use my car for I'm happy with how everything turned out
Its not really about how fast the car runs, more of how beneficial it works as a chasis stiffening unit, and as stupid as it is different area and sanctioning bodies require the bars in different locations. Once I get my battle boxes in and the plates welded inside the car im gonna have the diagonal bars welded right to the back of the battle box plates for some serious torque box reinforcement

Last edited by uberstang1; 01-13-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

than why would a company like MM sell their kit mounting like that? Tons of guys run their bars...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

than why would a company like MM sell their kit mounting like that? Tons of guys run their bars...
Because you would have to loose the back seat to run them to the rear frame rails, and that tirns alot of people away. I'm sure the difference isnt to drastic but from a functionality standpoint running them through the backseats to the subframe is better.

Last edited by uberstang1; 01-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats a good roll cage? Still have to be able to hold passengers....