SVT Forums

before the engine goes in, what to do?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default before the engine goes in, what to do?

Hello All,
I am starting to form ideas for a classic mustang build (67 convertible pro touring/bad a$$ car... and will start an actual build thread in the classic section). To cut to the chase, what do y'all recommend that I do before I go to drop the engine in the car for good?

My budget is not infinite, but my goal would be to hit 650+ rwhp. There has been quite a few terminators dropped in classics, but the majority of people keep the engine in stock condition. I want to be different! I haven't seen a turbocharged classic mustang except for the few that are drag race cars, and think that turbocharging would be a cool way to go.

The plan is to buy a complete used engine and trans setup and I will shoot for getting the one with the least amount of miles.

I have read a lot of threads and understand that I would need a good fuel system (will probably be an aeromotive fuel system) and a good tune. I already plan on taking all the necessary steps in upgrading the flywheel and clutch. I will also use the sullivan intake manifold for the turbo system. So, what would you do before the engine gets dropped in for good?

For example: Trick flow timing chain setup, cams, new head gaskets, port polish heads, head cooling mod..... etc? What would you do?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Well depending on your budget you wont want to touch the heads if you want to save money...but you are leaving alot of power out not messing with them. By the time you port/cams/springs/valves your looking at 3500 bucks. I hope you budget about 20k+ if you plan to buy the motor/turbos/trans/fuel system and all the extra stuff you will need (trust me the little crap adds up fast.) Unless you have some very good fab skills, you are going to need a custom turbo kit aswell which wont be cheap to have made.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya you better make your pocket alittle deaper lol...im making 650 with a whipple...i need a fuel uprgrade and i can push it to about 700 but after that your pushing the integrity of your engine without upgrading rods pistons etc....

a turbo would be awesome but itll be a total custom set up!! a whipple or kb would be easier
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses! I actually do plan on doing a lot of the work myself and that includes fabricating the turbo. The only thing on this build that I don't plan on doing would be the actual painting of the car and the tuning of the engine. Everything else will be done in the comfort of my home.

If I can get a good deal on the termi and trans, then I would probably use that left over money on new heads and cams. Seems like these engine really benefit from a good port, polish, and valve train upgrade.

What about upgrading the timing chain system?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

depending on where my budget stands towards the end of the build, this will determine if I go turbo or go with a whipple/kenne bell setup.

expecting the total build to cost somewhere around $30 - 35k
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

That sounds about right. You dont need to upgrade much unless you plan to take the motor apart and spread ARP goodness around. Otherwise port the heads, new valves, springs, and a good cam. Most people go wrong trying to get a cam too big or too small, make sure you talk to someone who knows mod motors before you make a decision on the cam, and they can tell you what would be best for your setup. Head cooling mod, yes, other that that the engine should hold up with a good tune.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Yea I will probably be going with turbo cams from MMR. Thanks for the response!