SVT Forums

Little Help Please

Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
RayRay312

Default Little Help Please

Hey guys, I want to apologize for my ignorance ahead of time.

Last night half way home from work my Cobra stopped putting out heat. It was blowing cold air. I turned it off/on same thing. Kept it off the rest of my way home and parked the car. Turned the heat on one more time and it started blowing hot air again...

This morning on my way to work it was pretty much the same deal. It would blow heat intermittently. On my way HOME from work it seemed to be just fine. I parked the car and noticed some smoke coming out from under the hood. I popped the hood open and saw there was some kind of leak from the coolant cap. Almost as if it "over flowed" from the cap or something.

I let the car sit for a few hours and checked the coolant level and it was pretty low. Probably 2 inches below the "add coolant" sign but still above the "low coolant" hash mark. The local ford dealership was closed so I couldn't go buy any coolant. I let the car sit at idle for about 15-20 minutes or so. The top two(?) coolant hoses were hot but the bottom coolant hose (driver side under the radiator) was cold.

Can anyone tell me whats going on? I'm hoping it's a simple fix and nothing serious. Any and all advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, apologies for my ignorance.

With Respect,
-Ray
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

sounds like your thermostat is crapping out on you...i would change that and your fluid first they cost like 25 bucks...if that doesnt work then i would start diagnosing the heater core....but the fact that your coolant overflowed tells me your thermo stat is having some issues
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
RayRay312

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
sounds like your thermostat is crapping out on you...i would change that and your fluid first they cost like 25 bucks...if that doesnt work then i would start diagnosing the heater core....but the fact that your coolant overflowed tells me your thermo stat is having some issues
Thanks. Plan on buying the parts tomorrow. Hopefully that's the only problem..Appreciate your help.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Carl7276

Yea most likely a thermostat especially being the lower hose wasn't hot. Because when you first start the car it stays closed until the engine gets to operating temperature then opens full blast to hold that temperature range. So if the engine was at running temperature and the bottom is cold then the thermostats never opened
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

cool let us know how it goes....good luck!

Search this Thread