SVT Forums

Whipple 2.9 Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
snakelover73150

Default Whipple 2.9 Gas Mileage

I have a 04 cobra and was thinking about putting on a 2.9 whipple. I was wondering if anyone knows how much the gas mileage will suffer and if it is hard to control. I am waiting to see if the gas prices might go down before I do anything.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Be ready for the flood of 'if you're worried about gas prices you should buy a Honda' messages that are to come. Some folks can't comprehend that even sports car owners can care about gas costs, and about mods that might impact mileage.

But there should be little difference with the whipple in normal driving. Of course when you floor it you will lose more, but in cruising I think it might even have a smidge less parasitic loss than the Eaton, so would be a smidge better on gas. But I admit that I don't know for sure. Just my semi-educated guess from my own reading and learning over the last few years.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
snakelover73150

Funny thing is, is that I traded in my honda civic dx to get this car back in 2004. The price for gas way back then was $2.00 a gal didn't bother me one bit. But a $4.63 a gallon if the gas mileage really sucks with that on it I want to know about. I am just an ordinary guy, with an ordinary income not rich by any means no to mention the gas could go up to $7 or $8 a gal by summer.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
brotus

I don't have a 2.9 whipple but, I do have a 2.1 KB on my cobra with supporting mods. On the expressway I was able to get 20.8 mpg. This was driving very conservatively but, as soon as you want to have some fun and start laying into the pedal your gas milage is going to be horrible. As far as controlling it you can. However, its going to take some major self control and probably are just better off not getting it right now if your worried about the price of gas.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

with my 2.3 whipple i got about 20 on the highway also...but like everyone says once you start hittin it you basically cut it in half...

uhh if your worried about control maybe you should drive one first lol...also be prepared for things to break when adding that much hp
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
snakelover73150

I want to thank you for all the info. It's nice to know what I will be getting into before I do it. By the way what kind of things start breaking? I have got subrames installed and a heavy duty Mccleod clutch (800hp), findanza flywheel.

Last edited by snakelover73150; 03-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Why worry with a Whipple!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Be ready for the flood of 'if you're worried about gas prices you should buy a Honda' messages that are to come. Some folks can't comprehend that even sports car owners can care about gas costs, and about mods that might impact mileage.

But there should be little difference with the whipple in normal driving. Of course when you floor it you will lose more, but in cruising I think it might even have a smidge less parasitic loss than the Eaton, so would be a smidge better on gas. But I admit that I don't know for sure. Just my semi-educated guess from my own reading and learning over the last few years.
Why would it have less parasitic loss than a smaller blower?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Why would it have less parasitic loss than a smaller blower?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the twin screw blowers much more efficient than the stock roots blower due to the internal compression (the compression between the rotors) of twin screws which creates an easier boost and quicker delivery to the engine?

I like learning about this stuff
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

yes more effiecent but it lets you add more fuel safely thus making more power...your limited with the eaton...but that goes back to the part if your gonna mash on it your gonna pay for it...

as far as breaking and upgrades needed...you need a whole fuel system to support it or a KB BAP...a nice twin disk clutch would be great but if your gonna have some stickies on then youll start snapping things like input shaft output shaft and possible axles depending on power and how hard you can launch it

Quick Reply: Whipple 2.9 Gas Mileage