SVT Forums

Valvetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Default Valvetrain noise

My 97 Cobra 4v has a head tick... well, more like clatter in the valve train. A stethoscope proved it. Its on both sides of the motor, not just one side, but the passenger side is worse. I was thinking of the reasons why this might be happening - bad lash adjusters, worn valve guides, etc... Has anyone here replaced all lash adjusters to resolve this issue? What was the outcome? Did it clear up most (if not all) of the noise? Ive seen pics and descriptions of how to replace them - the part I dread the most is pulling everything apart to get to them...

Or, is valvetrain clatter just a part of life for a 100k+ motor?

Also - could a bad lash adjuster prevent a valve from closing all of the way, or from staying closed? I have a miss at idle that I'm just beginning to troubleshoot.

FYI - the motor has a brand new full set of timing chains, guides and tensioners...

My last motor had a spun rod bearing and this is definitely a different sound - from the top end. This motor spins through the rpm range smoothly.

Thanks to anyone who has a response...

Last edited by Rokgtar; 03-25-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

What, no answers? You rotten, good for nothing bunch of so's and so's... My car is the BEST! I run 165 down my neighborhood street around everyone - around kids, old ladies with walkers, everyone!

I'm getting ready to go to Busch Gardens too - for 3 weeks!

Top that, yall! J/K

Just need a little advice here... I'm seriously thinking of selling the car and buying something newer - i.e. slower - b/c these 4v engines as a whole cost too much for my blood. If I have a serious problem with the top end of my motor that I cannot fix with lash adjusters or some other removable part (without pulling the heads) I'm likely to send it on its way. Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

I have a tick on the drivers side that Im pretty sure is from a lash adjuster(96 cobra). I plan on replacing all of the lash adjusters on that side. I will let you know how it turns out but I need to finish the current project with my 93 Bronco. Where in VA? I live in Woodbridge.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Glen Allen, just where I-295 meets I-95 north of Richmond...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

If I do keep the car and replace the lash adjusters, I'm going to do both sides at once, and clean the IMRC plates while I am at it. But, I am also considering selling it and getting a clean 05-09 GT or Pony Package 6 banger... I love the looks of that model and I really dont race or anything... I say the Pony Package 6er b/c it has the look for a lot less that a gt of the same year...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
If I do keep the car and replace the lash adjusters, I'm going to do both sides at once, and clean the IMRC plates while I am at it. But, I am also considering selling it and getting a clean 05-09 GT or Pony Package 6 banger... I love the looks of that model and I really dont race or anything... I say the Pony Package 6er b/c it has the look for a lot less that a gt of the same year...
I picked up the lash adjusters yesterday from Advance Auto. I got a great price on 16 Sealed Power brand adjusters getting $50 off ordering online and picking up in-store. Again, I will let you know how the install goes when I get around to it I may mess with the SVT today. Let me know what you end up doing with your cobra I may know someone thats intrested depending on whats going on under your hood. GL
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a good deal! Did you buy them individually or as a set? I looked on Advance's website, saw the part, but individually only (I might have missed the set) Are you going to use the valve spring compressor tool or are you going to use a screwdriver and turn the engine to release pressure on the rocker and then pull/replace?

Definitely let me know how it turns out. I am leaning towards selling mine and getting a newer car, partially bc my wife likes the newer style and partially bc I want to concentrate on the looks, wheels, etc... of a newer model and less on the mechanical aspects. But if I can't get what I want for mine I'll do the work on the top end and the IMRCs and keep it. Its paid for :-)

Last edited by Rokgtar; 03-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

I ordered 16 of what you saw online but when I picked it up they were wrapped in sets of 4. I have everything torn apart right now I just stopped because I needed an extra set of hands. I planned on turning the crank to find TDC/BDC and popping off with a screwdriver. A friend of mine has the tool for me to borrow but he said im better off using the screwdriver method as he didn't have much luck using the spring tool.

Has anyone used or know how to use the valve spring compressor tool? A friend of mine said he just couldn't get it to fit right in a few spots(Mark viii). I ran the part# and it appears to be the correct tool. Im going to pick up the tool from him today and see what I can do.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

My last motor had a spun rod bearing and this is definitely a different sound - from the top end. This motor spins through the rpm range smoothly.

I just read this again from your first post. Does your ticking/chatter frequency not correlate with RPM?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoomTown96

I just read this again from your first post. Does your ticking/chatter frequency not correlate with RPM?
Its louder when quiet/idle but seems to lessen as the motor spins up. May just be because of motor noise at higher RPM. What does yours sound like?

I used a stethoscope and can clearly hear it in the top end. Not that that means 100% it is there, but with the old motor, it was harder to hear from the top (if I recall correctly).

Quick Reply: Valvetrain noise