SVT Forums

Solid Axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Solid Axle Swap

Im thinking of doing a solid axle swap for the cobra next for multiple of reasons. I bought a irs brace last week and tried to install it today and it was just a pain and sucked. I was thinking of just doing the swap since the irs doesnt hold that much horsepower and i plan on getting alot of motor work done to it so i would rather not spend the money on the motor and then blow my irs. My cobra is a daily driver. So what do i need to do the swap? My mechanic said i need new brake hoses, brake caliper brackets, after market upper and lower control arms, the solid axle and carrier, and i think aftermarket springs. So if there is anything else i need or if anyone has done this before please share
Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

that sounds about right...its relatively easy just get like a mach 1 rear end upgrade all the moving parts slap in some nice gears and you should be fine....i have the nicest outta all my friends with steeda drag springs and qa1 adjustable shocks it would be great as a DD
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

You also need rear shocks....But why change out the IRS if your car is a DD??!! The IRS brace is a little difficult to install, but CAN be done in a few hours!! I've raced my car into the LOW 11's with a stock IRS (Plenty in the 10's)...If you Drag Race A LOT, I'd then go with a SRA!!!!

Pro's to a SRA...You'll drop about 100 lbs!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Yea i thought of getting one out of a mach one or just a gt. Then get steeda lower and upper control arms with some good springs. Didnt know i needed shocks but the more the better. Might as well. Its going to take me a while to get this all together but good news is its half off at ouyr local pick and pull so maybe i can find a good deal. I do like the fact i will shed a good amount of weight. I have alot of friends with 03 and 04 cobras that compete so i will have the upper hand i believe.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ Time to step up the power level then!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ive got the sra and i broke the stock mach1 axles at 601 rwhp with ****ty suspension...the best 60' ive got with these springs/schokcs is 1.89 or something. the guy i bought the car from had FMS B springs in here the stance is great but the way it transfers weight just plain sucks. im not sure which springs i want to swap into it yet but there has to be something better for the track then these
Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ Hummm....I'm cutting 1.62's with a stock IRS, stock shocks/struts & Eibach Springs ....Is the Mach 1 rear 31 spline??
Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Man tim, you are getting away with some power with alot of stock suspension, even irs. And from your other post yes it is time to step it up ha ha one of them stopped by my work and said he specifically coming for me since im the fastest one of the group. So i put together a good list of stuff to do very soon.

psi cho: what did you do when you broke it? were you just taking off at the track?

I heard 31 spline were the best to have i might be wrong but thats what i heard.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

It's ALL about the tires!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Yea true that, slicks or radials right? Its funny cause on street tires i never spun i just grabbed and went.

Quick Reply: Solid Axle Swap