SVT Forums

functional cobra r hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 AM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Default functional cobra r hood

Ok, when i bought my cobra it had a 00 r hood on it. I'm not real crazy about the hood, so I bought a 95 r hood from a guy on craigslist. I was out of town the day I found it so my brother said he would go get it for me. The guy sent me several pics of the hood, everything looked good to me so I told my brother to go ahead and get it. Apparently this guy must be A. very good with a camera or B. very good with photoshop because the hood has several pretty big cracks in it. My brother tried to call me to let me know and make sure I wanted it but my phone didn't pick up so I never got it. The guy told my brother that I knew about the cracks, so thinking I wanted it anyway he went ahead and bought it. Needless to say I flipped out when I saw it, but it was over and done with so we just dremeled all the cracks out and fixed everything. Between both our work schedules and whatever, we spent a good week getting it just right. Finally finished it up today and put it on my car, The d**n thing doesn't fit at all! It's way too short and has huge gaps where it should line up with my fenders. So now finally to get to the point, obviously I can't use this hood, so I put my old one back on. I really don't like this hood, but I've had it for sale for a couple of weeks now and nobody has shown up yet so I guess out of necessity it's growing on me. I'm debating on trading it for a factory 01 cobra hood, which I really like, or whipping out the dremel and making this one at least look functional and seeing how it looks once I paint it. Has anybody done this? I'm not so concerned with it being functional, I just think I would like it better with the vents cut out. The only thing that worries me is water getting where it shouldn't. I'm basically just looking for some different opinions, especially if anybody has done it with this hood. If it's gonna be too much of a pain I'll just go trade for the factory hood and wait until I can get another 95 r hood like I want. Comments, suggestions or pics? Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Colben

if you try using the dremel thing let me know how it looks. I have the same hood and thought about doing that as well
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I personally wouldn't buy anything off of CL without looking at it!! Just get a hood at American Muscle!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timspony
I personally wouldn't buy anything off of CL without looking at it!! Just get a hood at American Muscle!
Lol yeah I should have, I usually don't buy used parts just for this reason but I thought I was getting a good deal Soooo... I guess I'll see what this one looks like and go from there.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Colben
if you try using the dremel thing let me know how it looks. I have the same hood and thought about doing that as well
Will do man, I might try it tomorrow. Hopefully it looks good and I don't mess it up too bad.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I would just get the 95R hood and not bother with the 00R hood. I bought the cervivni's one from american muscle for my 01. No offense but I hate the look of the 00R hood. If you are looking for a stock hood I would just go to the junk yard. Our hood was the same hood put on the V6's

Last edited by DRAGUL; 06-20-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

The 95 r hood is the one I bought that doesn't fit. I will get another one but right now this 00 hood is free. It's not my favorite but I hope cutting the vents out and painting it will make it look pretty good. Either way I guess it will have to work until I get another one. I'm working on getting my money back from the guy that sold me this piece, so I might order a new one then.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Just wondering.. How much did you pay for it? I bought mines off AM (with military discount) for right at around 400 bucks. Since I shipped it to the body shop it was free (shipping)..Quick pic below..

Last edited by Soldier GT; 06-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Do you know that after you have 50 posts you can get the forum discount from AM. And like soldier said as long as the hood is shipped to a business you get free shipping.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

I paid $275 for it, which wouldn't have been too bad if it was in the condition I was told it was in. I didn't know about a discount to AM, that's all you have to do is have 50 posts? That's pretty neat, it will probably take me 3 years to hit that though! I got started on the 00 hood tonight, didn't get much done but hopefully I can finish it tomorrow. Once I get those vents cut out all I have to do is a little prep here and there and line it back up so I can throw some hood pins on it. As bad as I hate to do that, It's pretty wobbly once I get over a certain speed and it makes me pretty nervous.

Quick Reply: functional cobra r hood