SVT Forums

4.6 4v valve covers wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default 4.6 4v valve covers wtf?

Hello all,
I am about to purchase and rebuild a 4.6 4v mach 1 engine and can not find where you guys are buying your valve covers from. I have looked at American Muscle, Lethal performance etc and can find nothing.... Whats the deal? where are you guys buying them at?

I am looking for carbon fiber valve covers or a black matte set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Hello all,
I am about to purchase and rebuild a 4.6 4v mach 1 engine and can not find where you guys are buying your valve covers from. I have looked at American Muscle, Lethal performance etc and can find nothing.... Whats the deal? where are you guys buying them at?

Thanks
I think most people that have unique ones have had stockers painted or powdercoated. I think there may be one company that makes coil covers that have special lettering though.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Ya just go to a yard and get used ones and have them powder coated. You can get them off 4V Lincolon Navi,Aviator and Mid 97/98 Mark VIII that had the COP covers.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Hello all,

Thanks
Stangatic,

The 4V Motor is sick, you're car should be pretty mean with that set up. Unfortunately we don't offer aftermarket valve covers for the 4V's. Like listed above, everyone has they're stock Valve covers powder coated( I did the body color on my 04 Mach 1).

I'm going to speak with my purchasing & product development team and see if I can get the ball rolling on something like this brand new. I'll definitely keep you posted & good luck on the build!

- Dan
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Ford racing offers some blue ones, but other than that there are no mass produced aftermarket covers. Best bet like they said it so powder coat a stock set to whatever you like.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

You can get some custom hydrographic printing on them, that always looks trick.
Ask around, there are several guys around here that have done this. You can adopt a single underhood accent color & go wild under there. Some of these underhoods are awesome!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
You can get some custom hydrographic printing on them, that always looks trick.
Ask around, there are several guys around here that have done this. You can adopt a single underhood accent color & go wild under there. Some of these underhoods are awesome!
I always wondered about doing that under the hood with the heat. Does it hold up under that kind of heat or wrinkle. Lots of options if it would last.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

I have a set of stock 4v covers I am selling if you need a set.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses. The Mach 1 engine has valve covers on it, but I am not sure of the condition at this moment. I pick up the engine next Saturday and will be using it in it's current stage for the next year for mock up (plan is using a sullivan intake manifold and TB adapter fed by two turbos etc. Since there are no 1967 4.6 4v turbo kits, it will all be custom ah la me)

If you guys are powder coating them then that's the route I will go unless Dan at AM can talk to his people and get some carbon fiber valve covers or even a line of powder coated valve covers going. I know SHM used to sell the carbon fiber valve covers for $1,000 but I think he only had a limited about because they don't sell them anymore. I am just
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I was researching the hydrographics process for car parts because I will be sending out some parts this fall.
They spray a base color of automotive grade paint, then apply the hydrographic design, then coat with 2-3 coats of automotive clear.
This process has been around awhile so it is well worked out & will last.

Quick Reply: 4.6 4v valve covers wtf?