SVT Forums

Need help with suspension work!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
LordHades

Default Need help with suspension work!

Ok, so for a few weeks my 96 convertible cobra has been making a clicking/ cracking noise when turning sharply. I took it to the shop and was told that the front lower control arms need to be replaced soon.

The thing is, the previous owner did lots of changes to the suspension/ chassis including the griggs racing street kit and the lower control arms would cost $630 + $200 for labor. The other option I would have would be to get a brand new (but stock) chassis for around $1200-1500 (incl. labor).

So a bit more, but I'd know for sure that I won't have any problem with this for a while but I lose all the modifications that were done (not sure what I can keep on stock chassis).

Now there are a few things I am wondering: is the griggs racing street kit really that much better than a stock chassis/ suspension (I did the occasional auto-x but I'm not really racing that car)? Would I lose much by going back to stock?
One thing that is bothering me with that car is that it's VERY rough and I'm not sure what the cause of it actually is. Any idea?

Here is a detailed list of modifications done to the car (writing it as it appears on the receipts the previous owner gave me):
GR-40 Street Kit installation (this is the griggs racing street kit)
Caster/ Camber plate 94/97
Koni Sport Strut
Koni Yellow shock Sn-95
Coil over kit, front strut
C/O spring 2.5"x 10"x350#
Spring, Conv. 5x10.5, 350#
Torque Arm kit, flat, fits T/A
HD Panhard Assy
C/Arm bushing, rear lower
Driving Link Set 79-93
Subframe connector, Flat
TA 8.8 Ford Stud kit
Tube C/Arm set
Pinion Brg. Race
Diff. Brg. Race 8.8
Diff. Brg. 8.8

How much of that would I be able to keep if I switched to a stock chassis?
Which of the above could be the cause of the ride roughness? (PS: the car was lowered but I did raise it back up by 2" and that helped a bit; and tires are: Sumimoto 275/40ZR17 in the front and
315/35ZR17 in the rear )

Sorry for the long post but I really need the help from peoples who know a lot more about Cobra that I do.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM
rag-top_man

I would take it to another shop for a second opinion. preferably one familiar with mustangs w/hp susp. mods standard shops may not know what to look for like ball joints out of their range of movement ect. as to weather the griggs susp is worth having try to test drive a stock version to compare then its up to you as to what you want your car to do. I have owned a bunch of 'stangs none of them had stock susp. for long! over the years I've mellowed from full road race to more of a street/track type w/variable rate springs and not 2-3" below stock height (got tired of beating up the bottom of my car due to the crappy roads,speed bumps and drive ways!).for me I still cannot stand the stock suspensions lack of control.