SVT Forums

Looking for a 03-04 Cobra IRS/T-56

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for a 03-04 Cobra IRS/T-56

Looking for complete system. Swapping into a stroked up super-charged 3.8L V6. Bunch of random questions to follow!

Additionally if anyone has done the swap from the steel girder to the IRS if you could let me know how your experience went that'd be great!

I've also heard about some problems above 450 hp with the IRS and would like to know if anyone has encountered these problems and what you've done to fix it.

And for the last thing, I'm figuring I'll need a Tremec t-56 tranny swapped into the car along with the IRS so if anyones got a cobra with a blown engine or the front beat off it I'm open to a whole car package. I've been considering changing out the gears and face-plating the t-5 but I've heard that just swapping in a t-56 with the spline adapter will be cheaper and possibly better in the end. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be grateful to hear them!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

So I've answered a few of my own questions in the last few days and on other forums. Still looking for an IRS but definitely open to paying more for one that has some of the common problems such as the diff plate and bracket fixed.

Also have seen some more conflicting stories on T-5 vs T-56. The adapter to run it on my engine appears to be perfectly fine for what I'm looking for but I'm still considering cost vs benefit options. More interested in the benefit part. If its going to cost me around $1800 to get the T-5 where it needs to be vs $1400 for T-56 with adapter kit but the t-5 is a better solution then I'll go with the T-5 etc...

Hoping somone has some input, even if its just to redirect me to a better part of the forum to post this!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'm running in the 10's with a IRS....My friend with a Automatic 04 Cobra is running 10.2 at 144 with a IRS - but he's not coming off the line too hard!

I have a friend with a Race Prep (900+ rwhp) Tremec 600 TKO for sale - 5 speed - with around 250 miles on it (he went to an automatic) - comes with all of the goodies .... He's looking for $3500.00 shipped to your door (well over $5000 into this...)

** Tremec TKO 600 5-speed Transmission - MMR Pro Trans 900 Model
** 26-Spline Input Shaft...0.64 5th gear option
** Billet aluminum shifter w/Steeda Tri-Ax Handle
** McLeod RXT Twin-Disk 26-spline - 11" Clutch
** McLeod Billet Steel Flywheel (8 bolt) / SFI Approved... Note: GT Models have a 6 bolt pattern & would require a different or stock flywheel
** Quick Time SFI Bell Housing
** BBK Adjustable Clutch Quadrant & Cable

Last edited by Timspony; 11-29-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

I have a new ram steel flywheel installed, I think that would actually do the trick. I'm in the middle of closing a house right now but that should be done next week. If he hasn't got it gone by then I'll probably take it.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Also, Why do I see so many people going to automatics?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Automatics more consistant at the track!! ....and they're real good on the streets as well
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Ironhandx
I have a new ram steel flywheel installed, I think that would actually do the trick. I'm in the middle of closing a house right now but that should be done next week. If he hasn't got it gone by then I'll probably take it.
He'll sell the tranny only...with the bellhousing

LMK...and good luck with the house!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

u do know the bellhousing bolt pattern on the t56 wont bolt up to your 3.8 right
Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

what mods and blower ar u running for that power level, t5s are garbage btw.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

T5's are garbage stock, but can be modded to make them handle about 650 ft-lbs. Once thats done they're actually quite great to drive, even for racing applications.

Also I know I'll have to get a new bellhousing for it but I'm looking into options for that now. Thats why theres a "probably" attached to it.

As for what mods...

http://www.cmoc.ca/v6-2-3l-24/street...wer-tap-13995/

Is a good idea of whats going to be on mine.

Replace the TMA kit with a Hellion GT kit though more than likely. I posted there but I haven't heard back from the guy yet.

My engine will handle up to about 25lbs of boost with the forged internals. The guy building it is a master, he'll even warranty it up to 15lbs for 30k kms. This guy is making 611 RWHP with just 15lbs. I'll probably use about 12 for normal operations and hover around 500 RWHP. If my math is correct though it should be able to make upwards of 700 RWHP at 25lbs. It could approach 800 but I'm trying not to be too optimistic, especially with a little extra loss from the IRS.

The rest of the mods are too extensive to list beyond the fact that I AM swapping in an IRS. probably a cobra fuel tank, cobra fuel pumps, lines, and 42lb injectors.

Exhaust modded to 2.5" minimum diameter all the way back of course.

Also: Bah to the automatics. LEARN TO DRIVE!!! hahaha.

I've smoked guys with more horses just because of the standard tranny. I'll never part with it. Not until its absolutely proven to me that they're better.

I also like the .64 5th gear option on the tranny. Targa is a big race here and some fuel economy will help.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 03-04 Cobra IRS/T-56