SVT Forums

mach 460 question aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
caveman00

Default mach 460 question aftermarket radio

so I installed a after market radio with a metra wiring harness with the rca's and did it correctly. Why do the speakers sound like s#it? I can turn it up load because it sounds like my speakers will blow, is the radio putting out to much watts per channel (50w per channel) please help losing my mind without good sounding music.....much appreciated

does a 12v to 5 v converter matter?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

What settings are you using? Mid, LPF, HPF, bass etc. It took a few days to dial mine in so it didn't sound like sh%^.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 AM
caveman00

I tried that the mid and highs don't sound so bad its the lows that drive me nuts, I cant turn it loud because the bass sounds awful after a certain volume and sounds like the speakers will blow if I turn them up
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
caveman00

do I need a resister in the lines?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by caveman00
do I need a resister in the lines?
Idk, everything I have read on the forums say yes. If not used you will get a pop when first turning it on was my understanding. I paid to have mine installed and mentioned it to them @ the time of install. He told me it wasn't needed. All I needed to pay for was the harness. I have no popping noise when I first turn it on. So I don't know what to make of it.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Did you replace just the headunit and still using the stock amps and speakers?
Something tells me that the Metra harness doesn't do impedance matching, which would be needed if the above is the case.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM
caveman00

I currently am using an aftermarket pioneer head unit with stock amps and speakers. I don't have a pop at the beginning its just as I turn the volume up the bass sounds incorrect and sounds overpowered. As I read through other threads it seems that it could be due to the radio output per channel at 50W and the mach 460 uses less watts per channel. Any other insight would be much appreciated thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I currently am using an aftermarket pioneer head unit with stock amps and speakers. I don't have a pop at the beginning its just as I turn the volume up the bass sounds incorrect and sounds overpowered. As I read through other threads it seems that it could be due to the radio output per channel at 50W and the mach 460 uses less watts per channel. Any other insight would be much appreciated thanks
I had/have the same bass problem with the new Kenwood HU I had installed. I found some decent user settings. All factory pre sets sucked! I will give you the settings I ended up using for the bass after I get out of work.

FYI, the speakers will be loud but not clear at full volume with any settings. Mine will start distorting around 90% volume and up depending on the song.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
caveman00

it doesn't pop when I turn the car on the bass just seems overpowering while listening to music, I wont turn it loud due to the overwhelming bass which is quite distorted (mids and highs sound fine)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

it doesn't pop when I turn the car on the bass just seems overpowering while listening to music, I wont turn it loud due to the overwhelming bass which is quite distorted (mids and highs sound fine)
I pm'd you the sets that worked for mine the other day. Did you try them?

Quick Reply: mach 460 question aftermarket radio