SVT Forums

Transmission or clutch problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Kody_SVT

Default Transmission or clutch problems??

I just ha my whole transmission beefed up and rebuilt. Over 1800$ in parts. All of a sudden I am having problems out of 3rd and 4th mainly 4th and sometimes 5th. It grinds almost like the clutch isn't all the way in. I have spec clutch stage 3 and I have a stock cable and quadrant. Would having a stock 16 year old cable and quadrant be causing this. Maybe from wear and tear ?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Generally when there is to much slack in the cable and the clutch is not fully disengaging , the trans will be hard to shift into first gear when sitting still or any gear while driving or starting out. You can push the pedal to the floor with one hand and with a large screwdriver wedge the quadrant so it stays in place then lift up on the pedal and you should hear it click a few times. This will set your tension a little tighter on the cable and allow for the clutch to better disengage.

How ever if this does not rectify your grinding problem , then I suggest you contact who ever rebuilt the trans. Im assuming this is a T-45 trans? Misplacing 1 little spacer in this trans can cause all kinds of shifting problems. There is 0 tolerance for mistakes on these trans ( or any trans ) when rebuilding them. I recently just opened up a t45 that was having trouble with 5th and reverse, and also the trans was clunking between gears. I found that who ever pulled it apart last left out a very thin spacer behind the input shaft bearing cap. Just that .030" spacer caused the whole assembly to be off , and caused a lot of slop in the main shaft and input shaft.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Kody_SVT

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Generally when there is to much slack in the cable and the clutch is not fully disengaging , the trans will be hard to shift into first gear when sitting still or any gear while driving or starting out. You can push the pedal to the floor with one hand and with a large screwdriver wedge the quadrant so it stays in place then lift up on the pedal and you should hear it click a few times. This will set your tension a little tighter on the cable and allow for the clutch to better disengage.

How ever if this does not rectify your grinding problem , then I suggest you contact who ever rebuilt the trans. Im assuming this is a T-45 trans? Misplacing 1 little spacer in this trans can cause all kinds of shifting problems. There is 0 tolerance for mistakes on these trans ( or any trans ) when rebuilding them. I recently just opened up a t45 that was having trouble with 5th and reverse, and also the trans was clunking between gears. I found that who ever pulled it apart last left out a very thin spacer behind the input shaft bearing cap. Just that .030" spacer caused the whole assembly to be off , and caused a lot of slop in the main shaft and input shaft.
Well DELK PERFORMANCE a mustang performance shop did it. But I have stage 2 clutch, and stage 2 tyranny set up. But haven't put an aftermarket clutch cable in. Ad Ita got 200,xxx miles on it haha
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
R.A.M.

I have a 2004 Mustang V6 5 speed standard. It will not go into reverse. I tried the suggestions like go to first then fifth then reverse, double clutching, etc. they did not work. It will not go into reverse at all! Can anyone help?